What's new

Searching a substitute for my router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

izk666

New Around Here
Hi. I've read lots of reviews and I have seen 2 nice models: E3000 (Cisco-Linksys) and WNDR3700 (Netgear)
Although that, I can't compare them with my current router and check if this is what I need (I couldn't find any website that compares the performance in different locations of my routers), so I hope that someone can help me.

Currently, all my devices are 802.11g, except the bluray player. This situation won't change for next year...
Those devices are a notebook, a netbook, the wii and a smartphone. The desktop PC is connected by RJ45.

I have tested with 2 DSL modems from broadband company's (a Thomson ST585v7 and a SMC Barricade 7904 with not detachable antennas) and an own bought DLink 2640B.
The SMC and the Dlink had a range of 20 feet with no walls and the connection wasn't fine, with random small dropouts.
With a single wall in this range, the dropout are so continuous that made impossible to visit "google.com".

On the other side, the Thomson is giving me better performance, with very small and unfrequent dropouts, but the speed is terrible. Transferring a file (LAN-WAN or WAN-WAN) is ridiculous with an average speed of 1MB/s (8Mbits/s), wherever are the computers and the router.

I hope, with a lot of luck, that someone here had any of the models explained and can recommend me a nice one.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!