What's new

Secure remote mapping of drive, rt-ac68u, webdav, sftp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronny

Occasional Visitor
I would like to map the usb drive on my router on a remote computer in windows 7 and iOS. There is currently no asus client for computers, only phones and pads so I'm not sure if there are any other good options somebody could recommend?

Regular Ftp works but I don't feel it's secure enough. Have tried using the native WebDAV in windows 7 but no success. I get the login and pass box but can't access. I don't think iOS has native WebDAV support... With netdrive in windows 7 and can connect but not access folders.

WebDAV would probably be ideal but sftp could be an option too. Have looked around but not found any guides.

Any advice? Any plans from asus to release software for computers that allows mapping drives?

The MOST secure method and on my opinion the ONLY secure method is to use OpenVPN. You should configure OpenVPN server on your router and use OpenVPN client on your Windows PC. When you establish OpenVPN connection you may use ANY protocol you want, including native windows support for samba shares. I am using such configuration more than one year.

True... Open VPN is probably the most secure way and it works great with Merlins firmware!

However at times it would just be easier to have the drive mapped on the computer on the regular network. I tried a little more and actually got it working with an Android app, WebDAV File Manager. I connects to the drive and seems to work well except for some weird interface bugs. WebDAV File Manager actually has some advantages over AiCloud but again, there is already a pretty good app from ASUS for Android, iPhones and iPads. I'm really looking for something to be able to map the drive in Windows and iOS. If I could get NetDrive or a similar program to work that could be an option instead of using the native Windows feature.

But I think a program from ASUS would be greatly appreciated by a lot of people, not only by me. It's just easier to always have the drive mapped when you work and I think WebDAV would be preferable to sftp.

However if anybody has any ideas or have been successful, please post!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!