What's new

Seeking Lowest Non-Ethernet Latency

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EKSUS

New Around Here
I play video games. I'm looking for the lowest non-ethernet latency to the router, be it wi-fi, powerline, or anything else.

This is my access point - it supports 5ghz & 802.11b/g/n/ac. I initially thought powerline would be the lowest latency option but then I saw this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/445640-the-powerline-is-low-latency-myth/

So I've been looking for the lowest latency wifi adapter, but it seems there aren't many tests of wifi adapters on the Internet. Smallnetbuilder's wifi adapter rankings are from 2013 and don't appear to have tested latency, only bandwidth.

In short:
1) Is powerline lower latency than wi-fi?
2) If not, what is the lowest latency wi-fi adapter? Both USB and PCI are fine.

Ethernet is best if one is looking for the lowest latency...

MoCA - good if ethernet isn't available, and CoAX is, but there, depends on the cable infra in the house
PowerLine - HPAV2 - good wires, same circuit - works ok with AV1000+
WiFi - can be very good, depends on location.

You're forgetting SFP. fiber optic cables are smaller than ethernet and you can get the same or better latency though im not sure which is more expensive, the fiber optic cable or the sfp fiber optic module itself. Since you dont need many kilometer SFP fiber modules it shouldnt cost much. Still better than powerline for the same price.

True - but SFP (and variants) is not very common in home/small business gear...