What's new

Seemingly simple home project?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BishopThunder

New Around Here
I've been a computer technician both as a trade as well as a hobby for a number of years, but have only occasionally had much experience doing cabling projects.

My fiance and I bought a 10 year-old modular house to which I wanted to add a number of wired network drops for things like subnetting a workshop to prevent network-hopping spyware and viruses from infecting other PCs as well as to avoid having to buy a wireless adapter for my XBox 360. So I have pulled all the cable, and so far all of the terminations have tested perfectly, but I'm having an issue with an 8-port Cisco small business switch that I've placed downstream from my Wireless Router (which is an older Belkin F5D7230).

I think part of the issue may have to do with my set up, so here's my current layout. My cable modem comes into a room in the main floor of the house. I have a cable connecting one of the ports on the router to the wall plate, which is connected in to the switch downstairs in the basement. All of the other drops in the house will be connecting in to the switch, and through it to the router. The Cisco switch says it does auto-uplinking, so I shouldn't need a crossover, yet I'm still not showng any activity on the port that is connected to the switch via one of the drops. Is connecting from a router to a switch through a wallplate preventing the connection from operating properly? Or is there some other gaping hole that I've missed?

I would try to get a cable tester to see if the cables and connections are good.

You also did not mention the length of the cables, but some cheap hubs/switches can't work with long cables. The only option here is to replace your switch or add a repeater.

As Happy Bison said, if you haven't tested each of the cable runs, do that before anything else.

As long as your runs are under 100M (300 ft.) you should be fine.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!