What's new

Separate router and Wireless AP for home use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SammyB

New Around Here
Hi,

Most modern apartments have Ethernet cabling with RJ-45 outlets in each room and a patch panel in a closet. This is the case in our apartment and rather than just buy a wireless router, I would like to have a separate router in the closet with all the RJ-45 outlets patched to it and then a separate Wireless AP outside the closet connected to one of the RJ-45 outlets. This way I could install the AP to where ever it covers our apartment the best.

I just don't seem to find any router for home use. Everything seems to be aimed for corporate use and are too expensive. And all the products aimed for consumer use are wireless routers. Is the only possibility to just buy a wireless router and disable the radio from it and then use a separate Wireless AP? PoE AP would be nice to make a clean installation (I know it costs).

Do you guys have any recommendations?

And all the products aimed for consumer use are wireless routers. Is the only possibility to just buy a wireless router and disable the radio from it and then use a separate Wireless AP? PoE AP would be nice to make a clean installation (I know it costs).
Wireless routers are what people want to buy. Just do as you propose, shut off the radio in the router in the closet and add APs (or converted routers) in other locations. Since you are putting AP(s) where you need them, you can use most anything.

Don't bother with PoE. Too expensive for what you need to do and will narrow your AP choice.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!