What's new

sharing rural internet connection with neighbor

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agedchedder

New Around Here
My partner has a neighbor with a dedicated unlimited business hardwired internet connection, and he is forced to use a satellite internet connection with a 15gb per month cap, which makes me a sad panda.
I feel that an AC wireless bridge between their houses (approx 800-1000 feet) would allow him to share in his neighbors bandwidth and for them to share the cost of this access. I was thinking 2 ac68u routers, one in each house, would provide an adequate connection, but realized that he might have to buy 3 to have wireless in his house. so here are my questions:
1. what would be the most cost effective method of creating a wireless bridge between these 2 houses
2. what would be the least invasive method of setting up a directional antenna on the neighbors house
3. will he have to use his current router to provide local G/N access to have this link as fast as possible.

thanks

I agree with the above recommendation of a bridge-pair. Newegg.com sells them at good prices. There are several variations of products. These are outdoor weather packaged with integral gain antenna.

Commonly, one or both go on roof eaves or chimney or some such to get above ground clutter but stay below tree canopies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!