What's new

Sharing Scanner to Linux PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gripped

Occasional Visitor
Hi all
First post so I'll start by thanking the community. Found a wealth of info on here which helped me decide to get the RT N66U and then install the Merlin firmware on it. (Thanks Merlin too !)

I have set up Printer sharing using LPD on the Linux PC's in the house and using EZ printer sharing have got the printer and the scanner (HP PSC 1410 all-in-one) working on Win 7 on a dual boot PC and in a Win 7 virtualbox guest on my Linux PC.

Although it's not imperative I would like to be able to access the scanner directly from Linux as well

I guessed that windows must be exposing the routers USB over Ethernet / IP and the small amount of digging I have done tells me thats its u2ec on the router that's serving the USB and that port 3394 has something to do with it.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a linux client that can connect to u2ec or any more information at all really ?

I have come across a linux client and server 'usbip'. Does anyone one know if it's possible to install this server on the router ?

I posted here as I think u2ec is on more than just the n66u ?
I have searched but sorry if I missed the relevant posts.

Thanks again

I was playing with USB/IP. It's too fragile for every day using.
As for ASUS printer daemon, it doesn't support scaners at all. Please, take a look at SANE. Here is how-to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I will take a look at saned but it does seem a tad complex for me if I have to install entware first. I'll do some reading. At the moment I do have networked printing and scanning (windows only) and I don't personally want to mess with the internals of the router to much if I can avoid it

I think you are mistaken though about the Asus printer demon not supporting scanners. That's if you mean the 'ASUS EZ printer sharing (Windows OS only)', as its called on the router.

As I said I had already got LPD working on the linux PC's for printing. My two daughters use windows on their laptops so at first I was just going to to set up LPD on them as well. Then I thought I would try the 'ASUS EZ printer sharing' out of curiosity.

I downloaded the file linked to on the router and extracted and then ran printer.exe. Windows automatically found the HP PSC 1410 (attached by USB to the router) and installed all drivers. I opened paint , chose 'get from scanner' and it worked. I could hear the scanner going downstairs and in paint appeared the document on the scanner.

That's why I first thought that some sort of USB over IP was going on as it seems to windows as if the device is plugged into one of the usb ports on the computer, not a router over the network.

So I know the server is on the router to serve the usb, and hence the whole functionality of the attached device to linux but linux is lacking the client to access the server.

Thanks for the links. I will take a look at saned but it does seem a tad complex for me if I have to install entware first. I'll do some reading. At the moment I do have networked printing and scanning (windows only) and I don't personally want to mess with the internals of the router to much if I can avoid it
Yes, this is bit strange we've got no Linux u2ec client. AFAIK, u2ec is a server for Eltima USB-over-Ethernet.
I think you are mistaken though about the Asus printer demon not supporting scanners. That's if you mean the 'ASUS EZ printer sharing (Windows OS only)', as its called on the router.
My bad, I heard too much complains about failed tries to get MFP's scanner to work via u2ec.

u2ec is a server for Eltima USB-over-Ethernet.

Thanks for that. I hadn't put the two together.(u2ec & Eltima)
Looking at their site they do have a linux download. I'm at work atm but I'll take a look later and see what I can figure out.

I installed the Eltima USB-over-Ethernet on a Linux VM. It installs a gui but when I chose add a remote device at 192.168.1.1 in the gui nothing appeared.
Turned log messages to debug in the gui and in syslog got.
Code:
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Trying to scan server '192.168.1.1' using port 5473 ...
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Scanning server '192.168.1.1) : thread started
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Scanning server '192.168.1.1)
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Scanning server '192.168.1.1): sending request
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Scanning server '192.168.1.1) : waiting for data on socket 27
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Configuration scanner: server '192.168.1.1', 'RootHub#1|Port1:3394!'
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Configuration scanner: server '192.168.1.1', parts 1
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Configuration scanner: server '192.168.1.1', part[0]='RootHub#1|Port1:3394'
Apr  3 00:33:26 me-VirtualBox eveusbd.bin: Scanning server '192.168.1.1) : Protocol error

So I guess Asus have modified u2ec in someway ?

Using Wireshark to look at the packets eveusbd.bin is sending
Code:
GETCONFIG!
to port 5473 and receiving
Code:
RootHub#1|Port1:3394!

Using Wireshark on the Win7 VM I couldn't find GETCONFIG! but did find GETNAME!

Sending
Code:
GETNAME!
to port 5473 on the router with Telnet returns
Code:
RootHub#1|Port1(PSC 1400 series)

Also in the Win7 Packets was
Code:
GETIPGETIPGETIP
sent by UDP packet to port 5474 (or 5475 I forget).

Anyway I'm mainly posting this in case anyone more skilled than I am thinks they might like to have a look. The source for u2ec is in the router source from asus but I think eveusbd.bin is propriety so maybe nothing can be done ?

I may email Eltima and ASus asking for a working Linux client. Not holding my breath but you never know.:rolleyes:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!