What's new

short range 802.11n between buildings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cato2

New Around Here
First time posting here, and glad to have found such a useful forum!

I'm looking to set up a fast point to point link between two buildings, with a target of 90 Mbps throughput in each direction - distance is only 5 yards but I don't want to dig up the tarmac to lay a cable, so I'm planning on 802.11n to provide maximum bandwidth for backup traffic.

I can see a few 2.4 GHz SSIDs though at very weak signal as there are no nearby neighbours. I would prefer to use 5.4 GHz (UK band B) with the 40 MHz band in order to get the most throughput.

What 5 GHz equipment would you recommend that is highly reliable and not too expensive given the short range - less than $200 US or 140 GBP if possible? My current plan is to put a WAP with external patch antenna in one building, and (probably) another WAP in the other building with an internal antenna.

Distance: 5 yards/meters, no obstacles

Building 1:
- very thick stone walls, line of sight to building 2 from external wall only
- 5 GHz 802.11n WAP inside building with 1.5 yard cable through wall to external antenna
- 12 dBi panel antenna on external wall, pointed to building 2 - something like this

Building 2:
- single glazed window with line of sight to antenna on building 1
- single Linux server in building (for backups over this link)
- could use a second 5 GHz 802.11n WAP, or client bridge
- or use a 5 GHz USB or PCI adapter that works well with Linux
- possibly use the built-in antenna since there's line of sight through window
- or use a small indoor antenna just inside the window, such as this one - or I could use a panel antenna like this

I'd prefer to only have to mount an external antenna on one of the buildings.

My current setup is that I have a WRT54G WAP in building 1 with a 9 dBi omni antenna, and in building 2 there is an 802.11g PCI WiFi card in the server, with the built-in aerial close to the window. I get about 18 Mbps with this through the thick walls.

Any hints and tips welcome, as this is the first time I've done this. In particular:

- will it work to do 802.11n using a single antenna in both directions? Do I lose the speed benefits of MIMO?
- good WAP that is reliable and fast
- whether I should use a WAP or a USB/PCI client in building 2
- if so, which ones work well with Linux?
- any tips on mounting the antenna - grounding, lightning arrestors, etc?

You're better off running the Ethernet cable.

You need multiple antennas for the MIMO magic that gives 802.11n its high speed to work.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!