What's new

Short Range Wireless Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fyodor

Regular Contributor
Can anyone recommend a wireless bridge (provides wireless access to ethernet port) that can provide high speeds (actual 200mb/s)? I have a desktop/server which is not far from the router but is extremely impractical to hardwire.

It can be a repeater/extender but I won't be using the wireless access point functions. The reviews of these products understandably focus on wireless extension but I'm looking solely for ethernet-wireless bridging. Ideally I'd like something under $100.

Thanks

Most extenders can act as a bridge. All you'd need is a two-stream AC1200 to get a couple hundred Mbps over a short distance, assuming you don't have a thick stone wall between and have an AC class router.

I used a RT-AC66U and was able to get 200Mbps when connecting to my GF router. This was through 2 floors in my house. I could get near 200Mbps with a RT-N66U through a single floor. If the airspace is clean, limited obstacles, and proper AC hardware on both ends...it can be done easily.

Thank you. Does the RT-N66U have a built in extender function or do you need to flash it? Does it work with non Asus routers?

N66U and the AC66U can act as a bridge with the factory firmware. They also work with other brand routers/APs.

Please note that both of these devices seem to get a somewhat flaky 5GHz radio when upgraded to the latest release that includes the KRACK fixes. They are cheap, provide decent speeds, but have their limitations.