What's new

Should I return my WNDR3700 (vs. DLink 825 Rev A)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Retailgeek

New Around Here
I've been having a terrible time with my primary laptop frequently disconnecting from my wireless router (D-Link 825 Rev A). I rashly blamed the router, and picked up a WNDR3700.

Before even unwrapping the 3700 I decided to re-install all drivers for the laptop wireless and sure enough it now seems to stay reliably connected (duh).

So now I'm debating if I should still migrate to the WNDR3700 or stick with 825. I can afford the new router if I'm going to get some benefit out of it, but I still have a few days to return for full value if it's a nominal upgrade.

I have a fair number of devices on my home network (Broadband via Cable Modem):

AT&T Microcell
2x D-Link DGS-2208 (8 port gigabit switch)
Thinkpad X41T Laptop
Thinkpad X61T Laptop
Thinkpad X201T Laptop
Thinkpad T510 Laptop
Desktop PC
2X AppleTV (Gen 1)
2X Apple iPad
Apple iPhone 4
2X WiFi Kindle
LG Networked BluRay Player
Nintendo Wii
HP 495EX Windows Home Server
HP 3600 Networked LaserJet
2X D-Link Wifi IP Camera
Eye-Fi WiFi SD Card for Digicam

The majority of W-iFi devices are N, but a couple of the older laptops are G only. So should I:

A. Return the 3700. Stick with the 625 and wait until it fails or something clearly better comes out.
B. Retire the 625, and put the 3700 in to service.
C. Set up the 3700 as N only at both frequencies, and set up the 625 as a G 2.4MHz only for the legacy devices.

If B or C, then the other questions are if I should stick with stock firmware or try DD-WRT? Also, the 3700 I have is an 01-R18, is that recent enough or should I return it and track down the very latest?

Thanks for any advice. I'm a bit of a network/wireless noob.

Jason

I had the D-Link 825 for about a week. It was crap - couldnt stay up and working for sustained period. I havent tried the netgear but it would be hard for it to be worse than the 825. So I would give that a shot. I have heard some complaints about apple devices and connections to that router but try it yourself and see. Its an an-demand router, so worst comes to worst you can flog it on or craigslist and lose no more than 10 or 20 bucks on it.

And get a couple of USB or card based wirless N adapters for the older laptops so you can just keep everything on N.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online