What's new

Simultaneous Dual Band Router Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WirelessShark

New Around Here
I have a few questions about the usage of both N-Channel and G-Channel Networks at the same time.

1. I read that you can set up 2 networks from one router, one for the 2.4ghz band and one for the 5ghz band. If I set both up, can I set the 2.4 network to G-Only and the 5ghz network to N-Only? Or do I have to run in mixed mode for both.

2. If I set up channel bonding for the wireless-N Network, would it block out the 2.4ghz network connections? Assuming I can set the N-network to N-only and run the G-Network at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a DIR-825, a dual radio, dual band router and I have it set up with 2 distinct networks on the 2 bands. And no, the channel bonding of the 5GHz band doesn't affect the 2.4GHz because they are on 2 different bands.

1. I read that you can set up 2 networks from one router, one for the 2.4ghz band and one for the 5ghz band. If I set both up, can I set the 2.4 network to G-Only and the 5ghz network to N-Only? Or do I have to run in mixed mode for both.
You can configure each band separately and as you propose.

2. If I set up channel bonding for the wireless-N Network, would it block out the 2.4ghz network connections? Assuming I can set the N-network to N-only and run the G-Network at the same time.
As cousinjerry noted, the 2.4 GHz band setting and 5 GHz settings won't affect each other. But I recommend leaving 20 MHz mode for both. There isn't that big a difference in bandwidth once you move away from the router and your 5 GHz range will be reduced even more using 40 MHz bandwidth mode.