What's new

Single AX (88 or 86) vs Tri Band (xt8/9/ax11000) For Coverage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slen

New Around Here
Hi all -

Living in a 3k sf duplex apt, so each floor is appr 85 - 100ft long by 15-18ft wide. Big long rectangle. Looking for a solution that gets me better coverage upstairs. Building is 8 units in urban location, cinder blocks, etc.

The apt is all connected via 5e ethernet w all lines feeding to an upstairs middle closet, but the front room of the basement has no ethernet port like all the other bedrooms do. Unfortunately, the ISP ran a new line to this front basement room, so that's the source of my internet and can't connect to the ethernet system unless I run a ton of cable over doorways and such.

I recently got a docsis 3.1 modem and have had an ac68u. Net advertised speed of my plan is 1200mb/s.

Partner works upstairs in the middle of the lengthwise apt and gets barely serviceable signal. Our upstairs bedroom at the complete other end of the apt from the router, so it's borderline unserviceable.

Whats my best approach here? I read AX is much superior to AC, so I could get a single AX86 pro or 88 pro and see how much that helps. Or I could try and take the tri band w wireless backhaul route and get an XT9 or say ax11000 to make the master and put my ac68u upstairs to get my partners office better signal and speed.

Per my understanding, it wouldn't work well to combine ax pro with ac wirelessly.

I don't really do anything super fancy - would sort of like to make a server at some point to stream movies, play emulators file share, etc, so I assume the extra 2.5gb port could be useful but not sure?

I feel like going tri band would allow me to add to a mesh network if ever needed. Rolling with an ax88 or 86 would be a one and done, crossing my fingers for better signal, and only adding if I ever got a place with wired backhaul.

Any opinions on which direction (ax vs tri band) and out of those two, which router?

Cost:
86 pro 150
88 pro 200
11000 260
XT9 1x for 190, 2x for 290

Do I just say screw it and get two xt9? That would obviously be the best I'd assume. If I'm paying 260 for single 11000 to use with existing ac68u, might as well pay 30 more for 2x xt9.

Me and options don't "mesh" well - any thoughts would be appreciated.

Partner works upstairs in the middle of the lengthwise apt and gets barely serviceable signal.

As wifi signal seems poor from basement to upstairs due to the building fabric (and this will probably apply to any wifi type connection, even AX), consider also a possible Powerline connection between basement (the main router) and upstairs (a mesh satellite).

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!