What's new

Slow DL speed for all wifi clients sitting behind a wireless bridge...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trip

Very Senior Member
Hi All,

I have a strange download speed issue for all wireless clients of an AP/switch sitting behind a wireless bridge (see attached diagram). WAN speed at the router is 30/5. All clients of the main AP and all *wired* clients of the remote AP/switch get full speed. My issue: all *wireless* clients of the remote AP/switch have a download speed of just 2Mb/s (or less). I've confirmed identical speedtest behavior on multiple endpoints, where there's an initial "peak" of ~5Mb/s down, then an immediate flatline down to 2Mb/s, sometimes falling away to almost zero...

Attempted fixes: I've swapped in different remote AP-switches (Asus RT-N12/D1, RT-N16, each tested with known solid versions of tomato, DD-WRT, stock and Merlin firmwares). I then replaced the Cat 5e cable between the bridge AP (ECB-350) and the remote AP/switch. I also tried a proper setup of spanning tree protocol on all gear, thinking some looping may have had something to do with it (most likely not). Finally, I power-cycled all devices several times, both individually, and as a group in successive order. All of the above to no avail.

Clearly, something is causing improper handling and/or return routing of wlan traffic originating/terminating from any AP wired into the client AP end of the wireless bridge... what could it be, and how to do I sniff it out? I have a sneaking suspicion one or both of the ECB units are to blame, but as best as I can tell, they're configured just fine...

More clarification/details needed anywhere?

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Trip

EDIT: Forgot wifi tidbits -- all bridging/broadcasting is being done on 2.4Ghz, open network (no neighboring wifi broadcasts and zero roaming traffic, very rural location). The main AP is on channel 11, and remote AP/switch is on channel 1. Have tried all channels combinations on all gear. All orientations/positioning of APs as well.

Attachments

• HomeNetworkTopology.png
    HomeNetworkTopology.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Just an update on this: I finally fixed the issue by switching to WDS (WDS AP on the base side, WDS Station on the client side). I definitely had a brain fart not realizing I needed it in order to ensure 4 frames of addressing and thus accurate return-routing. The L2 bridging limitations section of this doc on Mikrotik's wiki jogged my memory and clued me back in that I had completely missed that in my setup.

So, problem solved. Full bandwidth on all devices once again. :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!