What's new

Slow DNS resolution and lag during telnet session

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kontinuity

New Around Here
Hi,

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.260.21 (Merlin build)

First off, thanks for the great work you've been doing! Much appreciated.

I've got two issues:

* Slow DNS - I have set up 8.8.8.8/4.4 as my DNS servers in WAN settings. At times I can see the connections taking a lot of time to setup. Once its setup the download is at full speed. Since I am not sure if I should start logging dnsmasq I am inclined to believe its the DNS lookup. Any pointers on how to debug would be great!

* Telnet pauses - I only have about 2 active devices in use at any time and during a telnet session on the router, the router just won't respond to commands for multiple seconds and come back. Any reasons why this would happen?

Thanks!

Hi,

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.260.21 (Merlin build)

First off, thanks for the great work you've been doing! Much appreciated.

I've got two issues:

* Slow DNS - I have set up 8.8.8.8/4.4 as my DNS servers in WAN settings. At times I can see the connections taking a lot of time to setup. Once its setup the download is at full speed. Since I am not sure if I should start logging dnsmasq I am inclined to believe its the DNS lookup. Any pointers on how to debug would be great!

* Telnet pauses - I only have about 2 active devices in use at any time and during a telnet session on the router, the router just won't respond to commands for multiple seconds and come back. Any reasons why this would happen?

Thanks!

Have you looked at your logs? There may be something there that's useful. What this says to me is that your router is busy doing stuff, what that might be isn't clear, but the log might help.

Thanks for the response. The logs don't report any activity and the load is generally at 0.02 (5min) with free RAM at 190MB.

Is the normal solution to restart in such cases? I'd hate to do that every time.