What's new

Slow speed from OPENVPN server running on TUF AX4200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lada-1

New Around Here
I have OpenVPN server running on my ASUS TUF AX4200 in my house. Router is on ISP 250/50Mbps connection. When connected from an outside PC (through WAN) to the router the transfer speed(NAS->outside PC) I get is 1-2MB/s. When trying the same download via WireGuard I get 6MB/s. In both cases the CPU cores show no more than few percentage utilization -up to 10%. Thanks
OPenVPN settings:
1.png
2.png

This is clear to me 6MB/s is max I can see. My point was what could be done to improve the The OpenVPN speed. I have seen some people reported the similar issues they had with OpenVPN.

The only thing you can do is play with settings and see what works better. Last time I had an Asus router with VPN server is was running on 386 firmware and was doing about 30-40Mbps upload limited by the CPU in this model. And change the default port 1194 or you'll be tested regularly by thousands of bots scanning common ports. You perhaps see random login attempts already in System Log.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!