What's new

Solved Slow Speeds AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MoInSTL

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-AX86U with an unusual problem. Running Merlin version 3004.388.7. I have AT&T 500mbbps fiber connection that is over provisioned to around 625 on speednet.net. The problem is my PS5. With a cat 6 cable I am getting 68mbps. If I set it up to use 5ghz I get the sane results. I followed all the instructions on the Asus site and did a hard reset. All I had to do was change the channels from auto to 11 & 44 respectively after setting up two SSIDs. I have tried everything I can think of. I ordered and installed new cat6 cables On the PS5 side I have forget network, rebooted and create a new connection several times. For 5ghz connection I enabled 5ghz only. I have left it unplugged, gone in to safe mode to clear cache and rebuild data base. I never use rest mode. I have plenty of space as I added an M.2 SSD. I know the cable is good because because my laptop was able to connect with good speed.

Here's where it gets weird: I have a BGW320 gateway (combo modem/router). There is an option to disable the WIFI and put it into passthrough mode So after pulling my hair out I plugged the same cable connected to the PS5 using an open port on the BGW320 (nothing it plugged into any of the ports) I was able to get 325mbps which is fine considering the 68mbps.. I looked and I bought the router exactly 2 years ago. I have old Asus routers that I retired and never because of problems. I think my AX86U is about dead and need confirmation. FWIW, made sure QoS was off.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Asus firmware? CAT5e Ethernet should work as well. Could be the PS5?

FWIW my original AX86U started having issues at the two year mark. I was a week out of warranty and contacted Asus to discuss the issue and let them know that I was not pleased to have problems with their product just as it went out of warranty. They gave me a RMA and exchanged the router for a refurbished one. Funny that their repair point said the power switch was bad. Whatever. Am using that AX86U as a mesh node now.

The problem is my PS5. With a cat 6 cable I am getting 68mbps. If I set it up to use 5ghz I get the sane results

On the ethernet connection - sounds like you're getting a 100Mbit connection...

They're supposed to negotiate upon connection - what happens if you disconnect and remove the PS5 from WiFi, and keep the ethernet cable unplugged - then plug in the ethernet cable.

On the ethernet connection - sounds like you're getting a 100Mbit connection...

They're supposed to negotiate upon connection - what happens if you disconnect and remove the PS5 from WiFi, and keep the ethernet cable unplugged - then plug in the ethernet cable.
That's exactly what it sounds like. I know I've read it was a problem for people using rest mode and required a reboot. I got mine on launch but live in the Midwest and there are too many storms so I've always powered down and unplugged. The weird factor is plugging the cable into the BGW 320 bypassing the Asus and getting a 325mbps connection from it. I prefer 5ghz because I play single player games and avoid stringing the cable through the house. (No basement). I ordered a AX86U Pro that should be here Tuesday from Best Buy. I can return it easily. Plus it was on sale and I had few bucks in rewards.

I'll try your suggestion and post back but I have my doubts. Appreciate you thinking about it and responding.

The weird factor is plugging the cable into the BGW 320 bypassing the Asus and getting a 325mbps connection from it. I prefer 5ghz because I play single player games and avoid stringing the cable through the house. (No basement). I ordered a AX86U Pro that should be here Tuesday from Best Buy. I can return it easily. Plus it was on sale and I had few bucks in rewards.

I'll try your suggestion and post back but I have my doubts. Appreciate you thinking about it and responding.

Keep things simple - try one link at a time... The WiFi link shouldn't change, one would hope.

Might consider putting the router and PS5 on a UPS -- that'll keep things a bit sane

Good choice here to keep things lit up for the modem, router, and a couple of devices...

Keep things simple - try one link at a time... The WiFi link shouldn't change, one would hope.

Might consider putting the router and PS5 on a UPS -- that'll keep things a bit sane

Good choice here to keep things lit up for the modem, router, and a couple of devices...

I moved from a house in Phoenix I had to wait for it to be finished being built. I sold it for just a hair under double what I paid for it in just 4 years. I paid cash for a house built in 1959 with a lot left over. For my main TV and other equipment I did have grounded plugs added with a short run of conduit run that is hidden. In my other rooms, including my gaming room and home office I have ungrounded plugs and a UPS won't work. I've used them in the past mostly for line conditioning and brownouts. I'll gladly have an old house that is paid for. Even so, lightning is wicked in the Midwest.

Following up. The problem was the AX86U. Got a really good deal on the AX86U Pro and wireless speeds and cable were back to normal on my PS5. In fact, they are a bit better. Two weeks outside of warranty. I am currently running stock Asus firmware.

SOLVED: Asus did accept my RMA and it's on its way back. I was right. It
turns out the radios were bad and they are replacing the router. Does not account for a cat 6 cable being slow too. Posting this in case anyone is pulling their hair out trying to troubleshoot. I've never had an Asus router fail so I thought there was setting or something not configured correctly. After extensive troubleshooting it was in fact faulty hardware. So if a hard reset doesn't resolve a problem just skip to RMA it. I went ahead and got a great deal on the Pro version and I guess I'll keep the original one as a spare.

for the faulty radios, is there any possible way to determine it is radio issue? This seems to take a quiet effort to discover rather than just turn off this and that.

so after few reset and things are not looking good, just straight to RMA, save time!

for the faulty radios, is there any possible way to determine it is radio issue? This seems to take a quiet effort to discover rather than just turn off this and that.

so after few reset and things are not looking good, just straight to RMA, save time!
Just a lot of trial and error. Also process of elimination. I know how well 5ghz performs normally and 68mbps was ridiculous. I have fiber that is over provisioned to 630 up and down. My phone uses 5ghz and standing right next to the router it was slow. It was clearly broken. I worked my way up to hard, full factory reset that should of cleared up any problems. I was outside my warranty about two weeks but they went ahead and accepted it. I will get a replacement next week.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!