What's new

Small apartment with crowded wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bobthemagicmoose

Occasional Visitor
I can't seem to cut through the marketing to actually make a purchasing decision. Can you help me choose a new router? I think the main problem is that my rt-n66u just can't handle the incredibly crowded wifi that exists at my complex (2.4 ghz is unusable while 5 ghz has 10-20 routers visible). I think just an upgrade to AC will be what I need.

Priorities:
- Stable and resilient connection (i have a VERY uncooperative work computer running win7 and all sorts of custom software that the smallest delay/hiccup will cause full disconnects) so something that can handle web conferencing without issue would be great
- Reliable (I held on to my wrt24g long after they reached $5 on craigslist) It doesn't have to do everything, just do what it is supposed to do well and doesn't need to be rebooted
- Relatively inexpensive (<$100 preferred, <$150 would be okay)

Not Priorities:
- Speed (anything that can handle my internet connection of 30 mbps is fine)
- Distance (small apartment)- furthest location I care about is about 2 walls and 15 feet away
- Tons of users (2 phones, 2 laptops, a few IoT devices, and a couple streaming devices - but only 1 to 2 simultaneous users so most of those devices are idle)
- Gaming
- Custom firmware (tomato etc.)
- VPN

I feel like my n66u is doing great as a router so I am open to a standalone AP. Even thought about trying to use an 'old' phone (galaxy s7) as an AP somehow, but something told me that would be too much hassle. :D

(followup to my post from earlier https://www.snbforums.com/threads/crowded-wifi-but-small-space.47908/)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
RT-AC68U

I ended up going with the tmobile rt-ac1900 hoping to update the firmware ac68u.

Thanks for the advice!

Be advised the T-Mobile branded 68 is NO longer supported by Asus or Merlin. Your a sitting duck no firmware for that model.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online