What's new

Small net buiders, Asus forums locking up.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jim769

Very Senior Member
I have been noticing this forum has been causing my browsers to crash at a regular basis as of late anyone else having any issues ? I thought maybe it was chrome so I uninstalled it now same thing on IE sometimes it works fine others it locks up. I even tried different firmwares thinking the new Asus release was causing it no dice its not the router. Tried different computers same deal although my ipad touch does not do it. Again just wondering if anybody else has noticed this, all other sites work fine.

Same here...I think it started with last months windows updates, but cannot be certain...thought it was firmware related also, because I upgraded to .40 at the same time. But since have reverted back to previous firmware and still have the same problem.

Same here...I think it started with last months windows updates, but cannot be certain...thought it was firmware related also, because I upgraded to .40 at the same time. But since have reverted back to previous firmware and still have the same problem.

You may be right it just started here right about the time Asus released the 4887 firmware that's why I thought maybe it was firmware but reverting back to Merlin 40-alpha4 the problem is still there. Strange.. :confused:

Well, for those of us not using ASUS gear, things seems to be fine...

Whenever I access these forums, it is exclusively on Asus gear: no issues at all.

Currently,
Window 8.1 64bit Update 1, IE11, signatures off, and in

Manage add-ons:
Tracking Protection with these scripts enabled:

Easylist, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice and Stop Google Tracking protection.

So, it can't be an Asus issue (I'm even using an Asus laptop too sometimes) - there are other factors to consider.

Well, for those of us not using ASUS gear, things seems to be fine...

And for this guy here using Asus gear, things seems to be fine, so that throws your theory out of the window.

It has been happening to me too; glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this (Windows 7 64 bit, IE11, and ASUS Router & Adapter). It doesn't happen all the time, but when I see that ads aren't loading, especially the ones on the right side of the screen below the Stats, I do a quick browser refresh. That keeps the browser from crashing/locking up and getting the "Not Responding, need to restart" window. At that point everything seems to be fine for almost 24 hours, or about the amount of time before the next series of popup ads.

There's another similar thread in the General/Suggestion Box forum...

Might be a browser issue with some of the upstream advertising code, or possibly with google analytics - folks are having issues with the newer firefox (28.0) and others are fine with Chrome.

It really has nothing to do with one's router or networking gear :cool:

Ok seems it's a issue with Chrome,Internet Explorer and Firefox. Maybe it's time for the forum admin to take a look at this and see what's going on. I do seem to notice it appears to have something to do with the adds when they pop up and try to load. Glad I'm not alone here I thought maybe it was something going on here. :confused:

Same for me

I use IE11, RT-68U and having same problem. It only happen on Smallnetbuilder forum

Howdy,
To set your mind at ease, it has noting to do with your Asus hardware. It has everything to do with Ads.

Smallnetbuilder relies on ad revenue. The Ads which are being displayed and the aggressive display characteristics of visual effects. The top banner ads, the cover the whole bottom of screen ads, all take away time and resources. Sometimes they are not built to spec, and one little line of code screws the whole thing up. The ads want to dynamically update, and with the browser seeing it, thinks it already has the ad info in your browsers cache. A few ideas to help. You can clear out all your browser cache and history and such. You can hit F5 to re-load the page, since your browser is about to lock up, when any of the ad spaces do not fill in. It gets into a loop which crashes the browser. It does not matter what browser (IE, Firefox, Opera, etc..) It probably has more to do with your cache and history settings...

The overall aggressiveness of the ads have gotten bad. The types of overlay in your browsers window is bad. I am not sure of what Tim can do.

:eek:ff soapbox

Yes, SNB relies on ads. I don't like annoying ads any more than you do, but have to pay the bills and make a living.

Unfortunately, these types of ads pay too well for me to refuse entirely. I do have frequency limits imposed such that you should not see a particular overlay or other "high impact", i.e. obnoxious ad more than once per day. But if multiple ad campaigns are running you could see more than one type of this ad in a day.

That said, NO ad should be breaking things. If you experience this, PM me or email comments@smallnetbuilder.com and include a screenshot so that I can identify the ad. If you can't include a screenshot, at least identify the product and or advertiser in the problem ad.

Two other hints: I have noticed on FF that if you set the browse to block third party cookies, you won't see these ads. [Tools > Options > Privacy, Set Accept Third-Party Cookies to Never]

Also, we serve no ads to the mobile form or the site or if you use Tapatalk.

Thanks Thiggins that explains why I am not experiencing the issue on my iPad. I will try and catch what add I see when the browser crashes in the future and go from there. Yesterday I did have the problem but it always has been hit and miss.

As I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, it appears to me to be caused by one of the pop-up ads that appear once every 24 hours. Unfortunately, I can't identify which one. For me on IE11, clearing my browser's cache doesn't seem to make a difference.

I can tell from the non-pop-up ads on the site when the browser is about to lock up, so a quick refresh and the webpage displays without an issue and I rarely have any other problems for the next 24 hours; or the once a day ad display schedule.

Last edited:
Just happened again just now. It locked up a split second before a Acer computer add tried to load at the top of the page. Hit refresh and the site loaded along with the add. So it is confirmed that loading adds are responsible for the issue. Now the question is why no other site I visit has the problem.

Chrome plus AdBlock extension, no problems. You can also use something like privoxy to block ads, but if you're using Chrome, Adblock is great.

Both IE and Firefox also have ad blocker extensions...