What's new

Smart Connect - Need to force Control Channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDB

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I'm shooting myself for not checking this way back when when I started this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/smart-connect-rules-apply-button-not-working.34406/

But I found my issue in that thread with poor throughput on 2.4Ghz was simply solved by using Channel 1 instead of Channel 6 that Auto was selecting.

So, now, I want to still use Smart Connect as I've got it working pretty well for 5 vs 2.4Ghz selection, however, when I enable it I get forced to use the Auto control channel selection which always uses channel 6 whereas I want to force it to use channel 1!

@RMerlin - any chance you can see if this is a superficial GUI change to allow setting of channel with Smart Connect enabled, or if it is more involved are you willing to go digging!? Extra beer tokens coming your way if you can make it work ;)

Many Thanks :)

I did just try;
Code:
nvram set wl0_chanspec=1l
nvram commit
reboot

However when reboot is complete the variable is back to 0 (aka Auto) :(

any chance you can see if this is a superficial GUI change to allow setting of channel with Smart Connect enabled,

you would break the smart connect protocol if you allowed manual switching , its why its always in auto

you would break the smart connect protocol if you allowed manual switching , its why its always in auto

I respectfully disagree.

Smart Connect is about steering devices to the most appropriate band currently being broadcast from the router, how each of those bands is configured (inc the channel it is on within its respective frequency range) can and should be user configurable without breaking the protocol at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you notice none of the so called smart connect ( or what ever other name its known by depending on the manufacture ) is or can be selectable as far as specific channel goes , so there must be a reason why this is the case

I've seen a few other threads for the same issue I have on D-Link/TP-Link and other Asus routers so it does seem to be a global issue, but I think it's just the manufacturers being over zealous with the auto settings. I suspect it's because on dual-5Ghz routers they have independent antenna for high/low channels so giving the user the option to change the channel will only make it either less efficient or not work at all, but with 2.4Ghz and single-5Ghz there should be no restriction on the channel chosen.

For sure I'd still be interested to see if @RMerlin can allow manual adjustment.

Nothing I can do if the parameter gets overridden when you change it.