What's new

So Many Considerations ... Please Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ross In PH

New Around Here
First of all, thanks for all the great info on this site. What an excellent resource!

Here's my situation. I have a Linksys WRT54G that's a four or five years old. It still functions well. I have recently added three new notebooks with internal Wireless N adapters, including the computer that I use heavily all day in my home office. So, to take advantage of the potential higher speed, I am considering adding a Wireless N router to my network, either to supplement or replace my Linksys G router.

My first thought was to simply get a basic N router such as the D-Link DIR-615, replacing the Linksys. But then I read on this site about the effect of older B and G devices on N networks, essentially dragging the speed down to their level.

So I next considered a much more robust router, a dual band dual radio device such as the new Netgear WNDR3700. I would segregate the legacy devices to the 2.4 GHz band, while reserving the 5.0GHz band for the new N computers. This would give me the additional advantage of a gigabit wired connection for my desktop. But apparently having B & G devices connected to the router, even on another band, will still slow down the N machines. Is that correct?

So, having read even more articles here, my latest scheme is to keep the Linksys G router on the network for the older devices, connecting the input of the Linksys to a wired output on a new N router, and of course using the new router for the three N computers and the wired desktop. If I do this, do I still need a dual band, dual radio N router?

A further consideration - I am only able to use WEP on the older devices, because my wireless network printer is not capable of anything better. If I keep the printer connected to the old Linksys, will the computers on the new N side of the network still be able to send print jobs to it? Presumably I'd be able to use WPA or WPA2 on the N network.

Please, some advice on which type of N router to buy! Here's what is connected to the old Linksys now. All these devices would have to be accommodated on the new routers or combination:

HP Desktop - Vista Home Premium 32 bit (Wired)
Sony Blu-Ray Player (Wired)
HP Notebook - Vista Business 64 bit (N)
Toshiba Notebook - Vista Home Premium 64 bit (N)
Another Toshiba Notebook - Vista Home Premium 64 bit (N)
Acer Notebook - Vista Home Premium 32 bit (G)
Dell Desktop - XP Home (G)
HP Multi-Function Printer (B or G - honestly can't remember)
TiVo (G)
HTC Touch Pro Phone (G)

Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to give me a specific model if you know one or more that's ideal.

Thanks so much!!

Also have the same questions

Hi Ross,

Just joined this forum and read your post. Am in the exact same situation! Am afraid I don't have the answer you are looking for ...but will keep an eye on any replies you get on this topic :)

Luc

You don't need a dual-band router unless you have dual-band client devices that can access the 5 GHz band. Not all N devices are dual-band. You'll need to look at the device specs.

The basic plan to use separate N and G routers to handle their respective devices is what I recommended in Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n. Each router can use separate encryption and once connected, devices will file and printer share just fine.

The D-Link DIR-655 or Linksys WRT310N are fine single-band draft 11n routers. But there are many other choices.

Thanks so much for the info Tim.

Based on your reply, I checked the new N notebooks, and they all have dual band clients. So I could use the 5 GHz band of a dual band router. If I do so, can I have separate encryption for each band? I'd need to use WEP for the older B and G devices, and would like to use WPA for the new N's. In that case I would just use one router and remove the old Linksys.

If I have to use one standard of encryption, then using WEP would dramatically slow down the N router, according to the articles you've written on the site, right? I would definitely use the two routers in that case. Please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Just keeping this thread alive. Anyone know if you can have two different types of encryption on the two bands of a dual band router?

Thanks!

Just keeping this thread alive. Anyone know if you can have two different types of encryption on the two bands of a dual band router?
Each radio has its own wireless security settings in a dual-band, dual-radio router.