What's new

Solved - AiMesh Incompatibility Problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gamers

New Around Here
Hello everybody,
Just upgraded my old ASUS RT-AC86U to a brand new GT-AX6000 and ran into a strange issue.
There is no way I can wirelessly add AC86U as an AiMesh node to the GT-AX6000. Both routers are latest Merlin firmware, both working OK, all AiMesh instructions followed - close to each other, ac86U reset to factory settings, etc. When I start AiMesh adding, the GT-AX6000 sees rt-ac86U, starts to add it, but at 5-6% stops and gives the error message - "Unable to add your AiMesh node..."
I don't know... maybe there is an incompatibility problem between an AX router and an AC node? Have no other explanation.
Any thoughts and ideas would be highly appreciated.

Solved - both routers MUST have the same core firmware, ex. 3.0.0.4.
Equipped both with 3.0.0.4 stock and now AiMesh works OK.

Solved - both routers MUST have the same core firmware, ex. 3.0.0.4.
Equipped both with 3.0.0.4 stock and now AiMesh works OK.

The operative word is 'stock'... when Asuswrt-Merlin fails to onboard nodes, revert to stock ASUSWRT.

OE

Thank you... never thought Merlin FW could cause AiMesh problems.

But I believe the magic is not in 'Stock FW" only, because when I tried latest stock (3.0.0.6) on GT-AX6000 and latest stock (3.0.0.4) on RT-AC86U,, no AiMesh connection again.

So I experimented and downgraded GT-AX6000 to a previous 3.0.0.4 old FW version and AiMesh worked as a charm.... I kinda guess there is something to do with the core version firmware on both routers.

Last edited:
Thank you... never thought Merlin FW could cause AiMesh problems.

Very common, perhaps over 100 threads around including possible workarounds. Use Search - it will save you time.

So I experimented and downgraded GT-AX6000 to a previous 3.0.0.4 old FW

There is a good chance your GT-AX6000 will auto upgrade to 3.0.0.6 even if automatic firmware upgrades are disabled.