What's new

Some advice in buying an AC router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sir Patriot

Regular Contributor
Need some advices in buying an AC router

Hi guys
I am looking for a AC router with 2 or maximum 3 streams.
ASUS routers including AC-R56U and AC-R68U are my choices but I heard some complains about 2.4Ghz problems in AC-R56U and I am not sure about the sharing speed of external HDD (NTFS) connected to USB3 over the wifi in these two models. (Compared to same price routers)
This is the main feature I am looking for but I like ASUS design that hide the cables behind the router and some features like download master.
In my condition what do you suggest to buy?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Last edited:
Are you buying a router based on today's client devices' capabilities?
Or just buying for tomorrow's potential?
If the latter, and you wait, prices will be lower and products more stable.

Today.
Most of my devises are wireless Ac capable but I have some 2.4Ghz devices.
If ASUS has solved the 2.4 Ghz band problem most probably I will choose AC56U because it is good enough for me but still I do not know what will be my USB sharing speed over the AC wireless with one and two streams.

Are you buying a router based on today's client devices' capabilities?
Or just buying for tomorrow's potential?
If the latter, and you wait, prices will be lower and products more stable.

Most of the AC1900 routers are now pretty much stable. Of course, they're still quite expensive.

What are your clients? I have an asus rt n16, not exactly cutting edge any more, that comfortably handles one box doing 7mbps downloads, one raspberry pi with xbmc playing a 1080p movie in the living room off a hdd on the router, a tablet watching hulu, and a laptop doing Skype.

I have been putting my routers and APs behind framed art, with the cables either run in the wall, either up from a baseboard cable track or down from the attic. Looks good, good service in the living room where I need it, and easy to take the picture down when I need to make a change.

Of course, I'd LIKE to replace with the latest gear, but what I have does what I need. That may change when all of those streams become 4k.