What's new

Some Advice Required

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Donga120

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have moved into a new house and have a GT-AX6000 running Merlin 388.7. I'm looking for some advice regarding Wi-Fi signal. I have very few neighbours, I pick maybe 3 or 4 other networks up around me at one given time. I have a connection of 900/100 and my Apple TV on WiFi next to the route will see 935/105 so it's capable. I believe the WiFi range is rather poor (especially considering the BT Business Hub 3 reached one end of the house to the other end and still managed 100mbps). I will attach my settings below:

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 21.55.16.pngScreenshot 2024-07-12 at 21.55.30.pngScreenshot 2024-07-12 at 21.55.40.pngScreenshot 2024-07-12 at 21.56.10.png

Below is a scan of the house, it is a bungalow and the router is placed in the middle on a shelf, and I am sat around 5 and a half metres away with a wall between. This typically gets me around -85 dBm on 20Mhz 2.4GHz on an iPhone 15 Pro Max and my Mac Studio on my desk sits at around 77dBm. I'm lucky to see more than 20mbps on either device. Is it a case of disabling the smart connect and setup SSID's manually? Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_4214.jpg

Thanks,

Nothing much you can do about 2.4GHz band, your router is limited to 100mW. Play with different channels, some may work better. For 5GHz band non-DFS channels (36-48) - limited to 200mW. You can try Ch. 100 in DFS, it allows 1000mW. This may or may not increase the usable range because your clients still have to communicate back with the router with their the same radios and through the same walls. Because of RF regulations in Europe and building materials most routers have about the same coverage regardless of market segment. More expensive routers just have more features.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online