What's new

Some folders not visible on NTFS formatted drive connected to ASUS RT-N65R router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JCHolcomb47

New Around Here
This is wierd!...

I just bought an ASUS RT-N65R router, intending to connect a 3TB, USB 3 Western Digital external drive that I have to it for network attached storage. (This is on a Dell XPS 420, Win7 Home Premium, 64 bit.) The drive is formatted into two partitions, both NTFS. On one partition, I already had a little over 500GB of files, mostly photo files (.tif, .jpg, .cr2). At first, every thing seemed OK, but then I discovered that a number of folders, containing about 85 GB of files, were not visible when connected to the router. If I tried to copy the missing folders to the drive over the network, Windows Explorer informed me that the folders are already there, even though I can't see them. Even if I go ahead and try to overwrite the existing files, they still don't appear on the drive. If I unmount the drive from the router and reconnect it to a USB 3 port on the computer, the folders are right where they should be.

I picked one set of folders that exhibited this behavior, and tried copying them to two other hard drives connected to the router, and they did the same thing! Finally, I plugged a flash drive into the router, formatted with FAT32, and the folders and files copied OK and were visible! I had run chkdsk on all the other drives, and all came up with no errors. I even tried reformatting one of them, but no difference.

I called ASUS tech support, and about all they could tell me was that NTFS should work, and that it may have something to do with the fact that the first drive I tried was 3TB in size. However, the other drives I tried were 2TB and 320GB. The FAT32 flash drive was 16GB.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I would hate to have to format a 3TB USB 3 drive with FAT32 just to make this work.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online