What's new

Spotty AX82U V1 Wifi 5Ghz performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jaja

New Around Here
So I've been using the Ax82U v1 for the past 3 years, it has been good until I've been messing with some features. I believe the most notable one is the OpenVPN server from what I've read on other posts. Also its running an AiMesh setup, wired backhaul for that great node stability. The 5G band has been having somewhat of some stability issues, where the upload link speed drops to 6mbps, while download might be at 150mbps, but that makes Instagram to take way too long to load or Youtube to sometimes buffer the video or straight out go to 240p, something that should not be expected of a 250/250 mbps ISP connection.

Setup:
AX82U v1 as Main AiMesh Router (running on AsusWRT - 3.0.0.4.388_25004-g47a0457)
2x RP AC55s as AiMesh Nodes (running on AsusWRT - 3.0.0.4.384_83394-g96badd4)

Avg Clients at a time ~40, around 25 of them hooked to the Ax82U through WiFi
Services running:
OpenVPN server
DDNS
Activated Dual WAN (5G has had issues since before activating)

Cpu Cores 1 and 2 averaging 45% usage, core 3 low cpu usage
Memory used 65%, 335 MB / 512 MB

I have configured a twice a week programmed reboot, also added an external pc 120mm fan to aide in cooling in case its thermal throttling.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I've been thinking on disabling 160MHz, but 5G seems to not be that congested when running WiFi Analyzer, I've tested runing MCS 9 and MCS 11 but really not a difference on the long term. Also read that maybe the BCM6750 is not as beefy as it should be for the AX5400 setup, being a somewhat basic soc, and maybe I should jump wagon to another Router that might be beefier on that regard, like an ROG Rapture AX6000 or the TUF-AX4200 but quite unsure of the MediaTek soc performance on the latter. Another final idea, is running the openvpn server instead on an old laptop I have, but have had no success on setting it up, maybe some tweaks missing?

Got the following settings on 5ghz:

1729968537457.png

1729968466479.png

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online