What's new

SSH into Stock Asus TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68)? [TMO]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gatorback

Regular Contributor
Stock firmware: I was looking for the control to enable the SSH server on this device, but was not successful. Did I miss it? If not, is there any chance of command line access to the router? I would like to poke around before upgrading the firmware. Constructive / actionable suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

Stock firmware: I was looking for the control to enable the SSH server on this device, but was not successful. Did I miss it? If not, is there any chance of command line access to the router? I would like to poke around before upgrading the firmware. Constructive / actionable suggestions are appreciated. Thank you
No because the stock firmware does not have ssh, just telnet if I remeber right. I don't do much extended configuring but it was originally why I switched to merlin.

I have tried to Telnet via Putty (port 23). No response. Has anyone had success accessing the stock firmware from the command line?

If anyone has insight as to whether, from the hardware perspective, it is the same as the RT-AC68,I would be very interested in understanding any differences.

Also thought telnet needs to be enabled via web ui . Pretty sure it's now turned off by default

Really wish ASUS would merge ssh with the stock rom. It really is an oversight

Last edited:
Really wish Asia would merge ssh with the stock rom. It really is an oversight

I suspect that might be coming. I saw them add webui code related to SSH in recent GPL releases, however no word as to what their actual plans are.

Know SSH isn't the end all and be all of security but it stops a lot of casual browsing/sniffing.. Even if someone is just connecting to a router via wireless vs wired to check on it/change settings via the webui. A lack of SSH was the first reason i went to Merlin.. and stayed for everything else. Think its a great idea this being a part of the factory firmware... Appreciate the heads up too..