What's new

SSID disappears

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bru20

Occasional Visitor
Adding to my other issues is I have a problem with my SSID disappearing.

My laptop (only wireless device) will be connected. Maybe for hours. I will notice the yellow star over the wireless icon. Checking on networks will show my SSID is no longer visible.

Other wireless networks are visible so I believe that rules out a problem with NIC.

The only way to get my SSID back is to turn wireless off and on (router has a wireless off/on button so I don't need to turn the whole router off/on). Then my SSID is back and the laptop reconnects.

Googling the issue refers to lockout behavior and perhaps the saved settings on the router are corrupted. So I deleted my wireless network from the laptop and rebooted. Reset the router and reconnected.

Any ideas why this is occuring? I don't think it is interference. I still see other networks. So it has to be something with the router. Netgear WNR2000v3. But what?

Last edited:
Get a different WiFi Router than you currently using. WiFi drops in connection would show that yellow ! on WiFi. Another issue could be the WiFi Adapter going duff on you also. To check out both you need to add another player to the mix. Meaning another brand or same brand but different model WiFi Router to test and see what you get with the newer one.

Adding to my other issues is I have a problem with my SSID disappearing.

My laptop (only wireless device) will be connected. Maybe for hours. I will notice the yellow star over the wireless icon. Checking on networks will show my SSID is no longer visible.

Other wireless networks are visible so I believe that rules out a problem with NIC.

The only way to get my SSID back is to turn wireless off and on (router has a wireless off/on button so I don't need to turn the whole router off/on). Then my SSID is back and the laptop reconnects.

Googling the issue refers to lockout behavior and perhaps the saved settings on the router are corrupted. So I deleted my wireless network from the laptop and rebooted. Reset the router and reconnected.

Any ideas why this is occuring? I don't think it is interference. I still see other networks. So it has to be something with the router. Netgear WNR2000v3. But what?
before jumping to the conclusion that the router is at fault.. try a different laptop or smart phone/PDA, next time laptop is a problem.

Also, on the laptop, check if the WiFi settings have no other SSIDs in the preferred-SSID list. If there's an SSID in range that is open/unsecured, your laptop could, when it briefly loses signal from your router due to movement or some such, choose the open SSID of a neighbor.

Also, on the laptop, when it fails, turn off WiFi on the laptop, (switch on side of laptop or keyboard fn key), then on again, and if it reconnects to your router, then the issue is in the laptop, not the router.

Can also check the Home Network settings for manage connections and remove any older connections binding. There are two references points that need to be removed if you had issues with the WiFi prior. By default it saves all SSID connections points.

[network icon (home)] click on this icon to to get to this feature below.

Merge or delete network locations

This above is available under wired and wireless there is another one where you access the adapter settings. That too need to be cleared out and only have the WiFi SSID you access.

If all else fails you can go into the device manager and uninstall the WiFi driver but DO NOT DELETE IT. At this point reboot the PC and login back into Windows. Windows will rebuild and install the driver again.

Can also check the Home Network settings for manage connections and remove any older connections binding. There are two references points that need to be removed if you had issues with the WiFi prior. By default it saves all SSID connections points.

[network icon (home)] click on this icon to to get to this feature below.

Merge or delete network locations

This above is available under wired and wireless there is another one where you access the adapter settings. That too need to be cleared out and only have the WiFi SSID you access.

First I could not find the 2nd place you mention. Can you give more detail?

Under the Home icon there were two listed. SSID and SSID 2. SSID 2 was listed as in use. I deleted SSID and renamed SSID 2 to SSID. Then I noticed although it says in use it is listed as "unmanaged". That can't be right.

Last edited:
Different computer, different router and it keeps losing the SSID.

What does this mean? I can't have a wireless connection just disappear. It is different than a disconnect.

It's not the ! it's the sunburst.

please provide more detail on the configuration and what you observe on the 2nd PC to fail.

2nd PC was an exchange of the first so identical wireless adapter, a low end Atheros. Can it really be on the PCs end because I can see other networks just not mine.

When the SSID disappeared and I had reconnected by turning wireless on the router off/on I went through troubleshooting and Windows said it fixed a problem with the adapter but I doubt that changed anything.

Lots of info online about disconnects but not alot about SSID disappearing. Many have said it is a hardware problem with the router that causes it to stop broadcasting the SSID, which does coincide with my feeling that it can't be the PC. But this is the second router where it has happened (albeit a duplicate of the first as I exchanged that too).

edit: It just happened again. I could see five other networks but not mine. Turning off/on wireless on the computer did nothing.

If I can see other networks how can it be my computer? But it has happened with two different routers (same model) which seems unlikely.

Can anyone offer some advice? Otherwise I think I will try a completely different router and that will end my troubleshooting.

Last edited:
You still having issues with the second Gateway you got from Target. My $249.99 one no issues Wireless wise. System is quick enough for what I use it for. Makes a good MBR laptop. Still tell use here how you have your network setup.

internet --- cable or dsl modem --- WiFi Router (any switches)

I've you scope your network for WiFi Survey to see how everything is connecting?

You never told me exactly which wireless adapter your NE has. Is it the AR5B125 or just PCI-e? I have an NE in the box and am tempted to open it and see but I really want the larger HD and better processor of the NV. I never should have returned the one with the Broadcom wireless adapter as I couldn't find another with it.

Back to this issue I have found other posters with the exact same problem with the Netgear WNR2000. Someone said it occurs when the router reassigns an IP to the laptop. So it was suggested to use a static IP which I don't want to do.
Someone else got it resolved by limiting connection to "Up to 54Mbps", which I think is crazy. So it must be the router but I still can't help but think there is a setting somewhere not right, whether on the router or laptop. I've had two different Netgear routers and it happened with both using different firmware so that seems highly coincidental. If it was a wide problem there would be more posts, this is a popular router.

My next move will be to get a different router brand and see what happens. If it happens with that then it is this laptop, specifically the cheap wireless adapter. Which seems more and more likely as I don't remember it happening with the NE when I had one working and the Broadcom equipped NV so maybe it really is the AR5B125 which I saw called the worst wireless adapter ever.

My setup is basic. Internet->cable modem->router. That's it.

Last edited:
It sounds like your router. Only way to know would be to try another wireless device or another router.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!