What's new

SSID problem iOS 6 "Unable to Connect"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rstark18

Occasional Visitor
This is strange but maybe someone can explain what is going on.
I have a Linksys E3000 running both 2.4 and 5ghz. I also have a D-Link DAP1522 at 2.4ghz as an AP for the other end of the house (older house/solid walls). For wireless devices I have iPhones (4s & 5), 2nd gen iPad, Acer laptop, and a few Kindles. The iOS devices are running iOS 6.1.3

All has been going pretty good until a few days ago. All of a sudden I noticed my wireless speed suffering on my iPhone and iPad. After messing around and making sure it wasn't my ISP I started looking into interference possibilities (new neighbors next door). At some point that night I could no longer connect to my 2.4ghz E3000 with the iPhones or the iPad (I would get the message "Unable to Connect to MySSID". The laptop connected fine. I could connect to the DAP1522 without any issues with everything. And I could connect to the 5ghz E3000.

I thought the 2.4ghz was going bad on the E3000 or the firmware got corrupted.
I decided to reload firmware first to see if that resolved anything. I did a 30/30/30 then reloaded Tomato and followed with another 30/30/30. I did a quick config on the new firmware and immediatly had the same "Unable to Connect" message on my iOS devices. I thought for sure it was the the router's 2.4ghz going bad.

The next day while at Costco I grabbed a Netgear R4500 to confirm it was a bad router. I got it home and did a quick setup and guess what, the iOS devices would not connect to 2.4ghz. I browsed around the web and came up with a lot of people that had the same problem after upgrading to iOS6. The weird thing is that I upgraded to iOS6 a long time ago. I also had done all the normal iOS troubleshooting (two button reset, reset network settings, etc.) It was getting really late and just as I was about to go to sleep I thought that I should try changing the SSID. My old SSID was 4 letters and the new one was 5 letters. I have no idea what made me try it but it worked. As soon as I changed it, all the iOS device could connect. The next day I removed the R4500 and put back my old E3000 with the changed SSID and everything was back to normal.

Hopefully you suffered through that long story to help me try and figure out why that might have happened. How can just changing the SSID make it work?

Last edited:
Apple has made a few fixes in IOS6 that can affect connections.

Go into the Settings app, select "general", scroll down to the bottom, and you'll see reset - hit that one, and then select "Reset Network Settings".

The device will reboot, and you'll have to go back and select WiFi, find your AP, and go from there...

sfx

Apple has made a few fixes in IOS6 that can affect connections.

Go into the Settings app, select "general", scroll down to the bottom, and you'll see reset - hit that one, and then select "Reset Network Settings".

The device will reboot, and you'll have to go back and select WiFi, find your AP, and go from there...

sfx

I know my post was a bit long but as I said I tried that with zero success. The ONLY thing that worked was changing the SSID name.

Maybe there's a new neighborhood apple hardware produced SSID and it's in your list of acceptable/permitted SSIDs - and your clients try to connect to it.