What's new

Strange issue I need help troubleshooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wfines

New Around Here
Hey everyone!

I'm a long time reader and lurker of SmallNetBuilder. I've long championed the high quality reviews and support of the community, and it has now come to that point where I could use some personal help and/or advice!

I'm a relatively advanced user of computers, being a helpdesk technician by trade, but I'd say a novice when it comes to networking. I have a fairly thorough understanding of the technologies, but no formal network training. I've dabbled in DD-WRT and other firmwares, and can explain to some degree the use-cases of most features on modern routers. However, I'm having trouble understanding an issue I'm experiencing, and wonder if I might get help brainstorming on possible solutions. While this isn't your average networking question, I do believe it has a root cause in some sort of network configuration, as my reasoning below will hopefully outline.

The issue is this: I have recently purchased a D-Link IP Camera, model DCS-930L. I have an e4200 Linksys router at home (v1), using a Thomson modem on TekSavvy cable internet in Ontario. I have installed this camera wirelessly in my home, and can access the unit without issue, intra-or extra-network. The only issue is using the myDlink Lite iphone application.

Here's where things gets weird.

The application crashes the moment I choose a webcam from my list in the application (crashes like any iphone app by vanishing instantly). Using it on my iPad 3 results in EXACTLY the same behaviour. This happens on 3G or WiFi. HOWEVER, there is a paid app for iPads only that will allow full use of the camera. It works perfectly, in and out of my home. This, in theory, should mean my network is fully capable and properly configured for everything to work. If this app was available on my iPhone, I'd swallow my pride and be happy but unfortunately only the mydlink lite app is available for the device.

Now here's some other interesting details:

Accessing the cameras of other people I know works perfectly without the crash! It seems only MY setup crashes the app.

The android version of the app accesses without issue!

If I bypass my router... it starts working perfectly!

SO: Considering all of the prior, it would seem to me that it can only be two issues: The app is crashing due to a response by my network (it shouldn't crash no matter what, but I'm not interested in solving the app problem, merely bypassing it by discovering the root networking issue), or my dlink profile is corrupted in some way.

A corrupted online profile seems unlikely, as I have recreated a new account and readded the camera from scratch, and the android version accesses the camera under the same account without fail. The network configuration issue seems likely, EXCEPT FOR ONE THING: if the camera is shut off, and I quickly try to access the camera (I literally shut down my entire network including router, except my modem [in hindsight I should have shut that off too in case it's somehow doing the bad response]), the app will still crash! The app somehow is still acting as a "buoy" of sorts, and maintaining the "Green-Light/Connection Possible" status in the app for maybe 1-5 minutes, and during that time, accessing it via the app still results in an app crash (you'd think if my network was sending a response it couldn't handle, it would just sit there trying to connect or have some other failure mode!).

Quite a wild issue and I would be deeply appreciative of any and all advice. Thanks in advance!!!

Is there any difference if you connect the camera via Ethernet?
Have you modified router MTU settings or set up any port forwarding?

Plugging over Ethernet has same result.

All changes to upnp and port forwarding change nothing. Strangely, even when it says it can't grab a port from the router over upnp, I can still connect using the paid iPad app. Selecting an unused port works for upnp, but has no effect on my ability to connect or the apps willigness to crash.

Strangely enough, finally solved the issue by changing the password on the camera.

Somehow, my network configuration combined with obviously buggy firmware for the camera conspired against me and prevented my complex, symbol-laden password from being passed correctly.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!