What's new

Stream TV from Cable box to MacBook?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fbg111

New Around Here
Hi all,

New to home media networks, not sure if this is the right spot for this question so please point me in the right direction if not.

I want to watch cable TV on my MacBook, transmitted wirelessly from the cable TV box in another room (only cable hookup in the apartment). Is there any way to do that?

For example, do I need something like EyeTV but with wireless streaming ability?

Current equipment:

• Cable box: Motorola DCT700/US (s-video, rf-out)
  • Cable modem: Comcast Xfinity Arris TG862 (mislabeled it seems, looks more like the SB6180 SURFBoard modem but with single-color grey-blue lights)
  • Router: Asus RT-AC66U
  • Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina

Thanks!

Last edited:
Question is: do you want to watch, on the laptop, cable TV channels that are (unbeknownst to you), encrypted and/or copy-protected?
Some cableCo's are protecting everything except the community access channel.

Nope, just want to be able to watch the basic cable + HBO included free with my Internet subscription, without having to buy a TV.