What's new

Sub $100 Router with best range and reliability?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bcx

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a hard $100 limit (unless there's an AC68 deal for $110 I don't know about) to get a router that can cover a 3 storey house and be incredibly stable. I don't really have the need for other bells and whistles.

We have only one AC device (so AC might not be a requirement), a MacBook Pro. The rest are iPhones, iPad, Wii U, and a Chromecast (that we'd like to use with Plex).

I was looking at the TP-LINK Archer C7, but the TP-LINK forums and Amazon reviews point to it not being friendly with MacBooks. I'd rather not have to worry about such an issue occurring.

Currently I'm using a WRT160N with a WRT54G(!) as an AP to cover the whole house.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You're going to be hard pressed to find such a router for that price point.

I'd be looking at either an RT-N66U or an RT-AC56U (on sale, of course).

I could consider those if there are absolutely no options that are cheaper. The N66U is currently $130, and the AC56U $120 where I live in Canadaland.

First, why are you changing from what you have? It's unlikely you will find one router to cover a three story house. Your best shot is if the location is central to the home footprint and on the middle floor.

I have no advice on reliability. Depends on way too many factors, client mix, your wireless environment, etc.

I'd at least want to replace the G router I have. The connection drops all the time and I have to reset the router.

I'd at least want to replace the G router I have. The connection drops all the time and I have to reset the router.
Since you have had good luck with the WRT160N, a Linksys E900 or E1200 are both basic N300 routers and cheap.

One issue I have is that I'm only getting about 21Mbps right next to the WRT160, and 8Mbps on the WRT54G when I'm on wireless. Through ethernet I get my full 30Mbps on both.

Last edited:
One issue I have is that I'm only getting about 21Mbps right next to the WRT160, and 8Mbps on the WRT54G when I'm on wireless. Through ethernet I get my full 30Mbps on both.
Is that with the MacBook Pro?
That throughput is not surprising for the other devices. iPhones and iPads don't have great radios.

Check the Linksys Refurb Store - better bang for the buck there...

Tim H suggested some decent choices for Linksys

sfx

Yes, that's through my MBP.

I just figured it's because these are already very old routers.

Standing right next to the router, IF you aren't fighting against a dozen other networks for bandwidth, you should be able to get 30 Mbps easy from an N300 router, even an old one like the WRT1900AC.

From the WRT54G, no, not possible from its 54 Mbps maximum link rate. Best case there would be mid 20 Mbps.

Given that you have no Android or Windows devices, your options for doing a site survey (looking to see what other networks are around and the channels they are on) are limited. But as Stevech suggested, it could be worth it. Or at least try your throughput tests changing the router to other channels using 1, 6 or 11.

I actually do still have a Windows PC which the MBP just replaced. I was going to give it to the MIL but I can use it for the time being. What do I need to do?

This is what I see using the OSX tool. Looks like two 5Ghz around me. I'm the 2 highlighted SSIDs.

Attachments

• wifi.jpg
    wifi.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
This is what I see using the OSX tool. Looks like two 5Ghz around me. I'm the 2 highlighted SSIDs.

I had used this utility before and found it to be almost useless but that's because I had no idea there was a Utilities window. Thanks!

Last edited:
I changed the channel on the router and it had improved my speed significantly. However sometimes the router will still lose the connection to the internet.