What's new

sub$300 router for congested apartment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SmartBugger

New Around Here
Right now, I'm using an old 2.5ghz only router... and it's performing very badly due to congestion of other residence (my iMAC picks up over 20 wifi networks). In the past, I really had no need for a fast wifi network. But now, with school, I'm often transferring large files between various computers (I will rarely have more than 3 devices active on my wifi network simultaneously).

After reading some reviews, I am looking at the the netgear R7800 and the asus RT-AC3200.

Furthermore, I read some comments (on reddit) about DFS being important and how many routers don't support it. And as far a I can tell, neither of these routers support it... unless I buy a European model?

I'm new to all of this and would love some feedback/recommendations =)

your devices need to support 5Ghz wifi AC for you to actually benefit from it. 5Ghz may be less crowded but if you do have any devices capable, do a scan to see how crowded than select an AP that can use one of the empty channels you want.

Many routers do have DFS even ISP provided ones but how well it works is another thing. Some take a few minutes each time they detect something while some may work well. If you avoid poorly designed routers that would work.

I would not suggest either of your choices today. It also seems like DFS support is not something you need to be concerned with either.

The RT-AC1900P or the RT-AC3100 are the two routers I would be looking at today (and yes, I would only consider an Asus router). Keep in mind that a few weeks ago the RT-AC3100 was on sale for $191, yes a 'steal' for that router. You may want to wait for a bit to see if that deal or close to it comes back.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

After reading the comments from the linked thread... I went out and purchased the RT-AC1900P (Had a bestbuy giftcard and they price match).

What took me 1 hour to transfer to my computer now took.... 4 seconds. I shirt you not =p very happy with this router already =).

Anything I should do with this new router (besides update the firmware to the latest edition)?

Thx =)

Right now, I'm using an old 2.5ghz only router... and it's performing very badly due to congestion of other residence (my iMAC picks up over 20 wifi networks). In the past, I really had no need for a fast wifi network. But now, with school, I'm often transferring large files between various computers (I will rarely have more than 3 devices active on my wifi network simultaneously)

Consider the Airport Extreme AC - nice little device, and it does support DFS... stable enough, and fast enough - and in an small apartment, more than enough...

AC1900 class performance - on the Apple refurb store for $129...

After reading the comments from the linked thread... I went out and purchased the RT-AC1900P (Had a bestbuy giftcard and they price match).

What took me 1 hour to transfer to my computer now took.... 4 seconds. I shirt you not =p very happy with this router already =).

Anything I should do with this new router (besides update the firmware to the latest edition)?

Thx =)

Update the firmware (I recommend RMerlin's firmware or the forks thereof) and then make sure you follow all the applicable steps in the links below).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

Also, buy a UPS for your router/modem. I've had many experiences where devices are fried or just don't work right anymore, but the router/modem on the same circuit breaker keep on working for years afterwards (thanks to the UPS). I would recommend an APC or CyberPower UPS (the 'PFCLCD' models are highly recommended).

Glad you've entered the 21st century on your network. :)

Also, buy a UPS for your router/modem. I've had many experiences where devices are fried or just don't work right anymore, but the router/modem on the same circuit breaker keep on working for years afterwards (thanks to the UPS). I would recommend an APC or CyberPower UPS (the 'PFCLCD' models are highly recommended).

Glad you've entered the 21st century on your network. :)

I have two CyperPower CP1500PFCLCD's, one for my desktop PC and monitors. One for the router, modem, VoIP and wireless phone.

Everyone should own a UPS.......

'A' UPS? I have four and counting. ;)