What's new

Suddenly: WiFi Adapter Is No Longer Recognized!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bulldog

Regular Contributor
After working perfectly with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, my 2-year old Asus USB-N53 wireless adapter is no longer recognized by Windows.

Device Manager says: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed); Code 43.

I am using the most recent driver from Asus, which I uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. The device uses a Ralink chip but installing Ralink drivers doesn't help either. Neither does using a different USB port.

According to Asus technical support, USB-N53 is not supported on Windows 8.1, only Windows 8, and it's only because of a "glitch" (their term) that the device works at all on Windows 8.1. I find that argument hard to believe. Even if you look past the idea of whether Win 8.1 is a new OS or just an update to Win 8, I couldn't find a single USB WiFi adapter on Asus' website that specifies Windows 8.1 support. Did Asus choose to ignore this market?

Okay, rant against Asus support is over. Has anyone found a solution to my problem?

Troubleshooting process of elimination:

Suspect USB WiFi adapter bad.
Won't work with PC #1
Try it in PC #2
And try some other USB WiFi adapter in PC #1

and so on, logically.

THen buy Windows 7 CD and dump windows 8. Separate issue.

Hi,
My hunch is the adapter went South. Wife got a new laptop with W8.1 Pro. She thinks it is W7 box.
I changed to classic desktop, no metro desktop, LOL!

Thanks for your help and for overlooking my rant.

A second USB-N53 works perfectly in my computer, as does a D-Link adapter. Conclusion: My original USB-N53 had a short life.

I should have mentioned that I have Windows 8.1 Stardock Edition. Start screen? Never heard of it.