What's new

Suggestion for AC 3G Apple

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

baro

New Around Here
Hi everybody

I'm new here, nice to meet you all!

I'm searching for for an 802.11ac wireless router, AC1450 or more, with Gbps ethernet to connect a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS Duo), and with support for 3G/4G USB dongles as WAN. I mainly use Apple stuffs.

Till now I have just found the ASUS RT-AC68U.... are there any others out there? Any opionion and/or suggestions on that one or other ones as well?
For me it's especially difficult to understand if devices have 3G/4G USB dongles support... (i mean with their own standard firmware)

Thanks everybody
Best regards!

Based on your stated requirements - the AC68U is probably the best bet...

Don't have first hand experience with it, but as long as you have a support 3G/4G dongle, you should be fine - might want to investigate the ASUS subforum here for more info.

Hi everybody

I'm new here, nice to meet you all!

I'm searching for for an 802.11ac wireless router, AC1450 or more, with Gbps ethernet to connect a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS Duo), and with support for 3G/4G USB dongles as WAN. I mainly use Apple stuffs.

Till now I have just found the ASUS RT-AC68U.... are there any others out there? Any opionion and/or suggestions on that one or other ones as well?
For me it's especially difficult to understand if devices have 3G/4G USB dongles support... (i mean with their own standard firmware)

Thanks everybody
Best regards!

One of the most popular routers here on SNB is the Netgear R7000. It is rock solid and has many firmware options although I use stock myself. Any AC dongle you buy will be compatible with it. They are not vendor specific. The bottleneck in AC dongles has been usb speeds. Look for a USB 3.0 dongle. Most you will see are USB 2.0 with 1 radio. Max you will find is 2 radios I believe with a Max speed of 866mbs. Then if your plan is to use it with a Mac then finding one with compatible drivers will be difficult.

An advantage with the Netgear R7000 coming since you already have a ReadyNas is software compatibility. Early next year Netgear will announce a host of new software products that marry the ReadyNas and Routers with common cloud and mobile software. Up to now they have all be separate.

Check the reviews on the R7000. It is a solid buy.

Bob Silver
Netgear Advisor

thanks sfx, thanks bob

@bob: my quest for dongles was not about client connecting ac to wifi router, but about wwan dongles connected to router's usb interface to have uplink towards internet over 3G/4G

Btw... Now I'm thinking to R6300v2 flashed with DD-WRT (maybe Kong's flavour) .... Aus RT-AC68 reviews didnt satisfy me completely..

The R7000 with stock Netgear firmware does not support 3G/4G WAN dongles.

To get what you're looking for all in one unit, ready to go, with reliable performance, is somewhat difficult. I would suggest you purchase a gigabit 3G/4G router (CradlePoint MBR1400, etc.) and wire in whatever AC all-in-one router you like, set as an access point. The CP will be able to shoulder the load of routing/packet handling, while the a-i-o handles just AC wifi (which is the only reason to buy those boxes, imho). All in, you'll be a couple hundred dollars more invested, but I think the performance and reliability will be worth it.