What's new

Suggestions on getting DLNA working on R7000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SunrisePro

Regular Contributor
Attached a 3tb ntfs drive to the R7000 (drive worked fine with the Linksys WRT1900AC that I used to have). No problem accessing the storage device & files on Windows but it's a different story with my Samsung Smart TV.

It sees the shared drive but under folders has a single folder (from within the main shared drive), which happens to be a backup of my son's Steam games. It can navigate down to two folders which have a couple of videos in them. It does not see two folders with videos in the them.

I do have the media server enabled (and checked the tivo & itunes boxes for the hell of it) and the USB storage is set to 'Basic'. The TV is on the 5ghz network. I setup 3 shares in network folders: the drive as a whole and then two more for each of the video folders.

Ideally, I only want to see the two video folders on the tv but I don't see any options that will help me do that. The entire hard drive should be available on the network for our computers to access.

Anyone got dlna on this thing working properly?

Hi Sunrise Pro...many thanks for the post. “Enable DLNA Media Server” should resolve this type of issue since our DLNA implementation should scan the sub folders. I will have a test run today and keep you updated.

A support colleague had assisted a customer with DLNA recently...R7000 updated to v1.0.4.30 and ensure “Enable DLNA Media Server” is checked.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue.

I got it to work after changed the share of the whole storage device to admin/admin and adding shares to two folders. But the overall experience improved greatly after I changed the firmware to AdvancedTomato.

Samsung's DLNA implementation is problematic. I think recent versions of minidlna (the DLNA server used by both Netgear and Tomato) implemented some Samsung-specific fixes recently. That might explain the difference between both firmware, as maybe Netgear's firmware might still be using an older version.

Thanks to AT, I have dlna working and my wifi working flawlessly. The only issue I have now is that the tv periodically disconnects from the media server but *not* from the router/internet (I'm using ethernet with the tv). Any settings that could help resolve this?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!