What's new

Suggestions: Traffic Monitor

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

Hi,

I think, per-IP traffic monitor can be improved (cosmetically) by

1. the possibility to assign names to the MAC's. Some MAC's are displayed with their names (such as NETBIOS names of Windows computers), but some others are not (such as Vonage adapter, for instance). It would be convenient to be able to assign custom names, for better recognition. This labeling would help in other places as well (firewall etc.)

2. Remember the last choice of the tab under Traffic Manager, and selection in the dropdown box - to save switching to the right place every time.

Traffic monitor has no idea what MACs are being used - it works 100% on a per-IP basis. That's why I recommend people use static DHCP leases to be able to keep track of devices, there is no way otherwise to associate an IP with a specific device.

Hi RMerlin, Traffic monitor has real time traffic, monthly report which are great. but why not add the "OFF" button completely disable traffic monitor those people don't need it.

Hi RMerlin, Traffic monitor has real time traffic, monthly report which are great. but why not add the "OFF" button completely disable traffic monitor those people don't need it.

Per IP traffic monitoring is disabled by default - you have to consciously enable it. You can re-disable it afterward.

Regular traffic monitoring is built-in the firmware and has next to no overhead - there would be no point in disabling it.

But in any given time the router knows which IP belongs to which MAC.

Yes, but if I blindly decide that whichever MAC is associated at the current time with a given IP, it might give you totally bogus info if you have everything set to dynamic. All traffic data is associated to an IP. The device that had IP .100 last month might not be the same one that has it today, so if I were to automatically associate the current MAC with that IP permanently, your historical data would be totally inaccurate and misleading.

That's why you can manually ensure to have your device accurately be identified by creating a DHCP reservation, and assigning it a name. Traffic Monitor will automatically display whichever name you have assigned on the DHCP static lease page, so that way we know it was manually assigned by you, and not just randomly the one who just happened to use this IP at this moment.