What's new

Summer house network for two buildings, TUF ax-3000 v2 up to the task?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Orfantal

New Around Here
So I am looking to add wifi and mobile broadband internet to the summer house. I am looking for a router to provide the wireless network, it will get a 4g modem into the WAN port.

The house is maybe 80 Sq meters and 4 rooms. It is fairly thin drywall as inner walls and wooden clad outer walls.

The router will only be used for easy loads at the moment. Cell phones and one work computer is all. Later on maybe also a NAS and carrying surveillance camera feed to the NAS.

The only complication really is that I would like to have good wifi coverage also in a small one room building 10-15 meters away from the main house. That is where the "office" and work computer will be.

I have also bought a 1Gbit powerline adaptors to get wired connection to this small building. Wiring the houses proper is not an option at the moment. But I would like to have good wifi coverage there also.

I already bought the TUF ax3000 V2. The specs looked okay to me at first. But I was a bit sad after reading it is only 2x2 streams. It is one of the cheapest out there so I should have known it would be something that was not up to spec with the higher end ones of course. Besides cpu and memory.

I don't need more streams for throughput. I think, as per the use cases described above.
But my concern with 2x2 is that it will have less speed at range than a 3x3 or 4x4 radio would. Is this a correct assumption?

I have tested the wifi coverage earlier with a smaller "pocket" Hotspot router of wireless N tier. The ZTE MF910 (https://www.4gltemall.com/zte-mf910-4g-lte-mobile-hotspot.html).
It failed to carry the signal unless I placed it and my cell phone window to window between the houses.

I will test with the TUF Ax-3000 now and see how it goes. Where to place it etc.
Perhaps it is strong enough to carry two outer wooden walls and maybe an inner wall as well and 15 m. That would be the best placement wise.

Any thoughts or suggestions on a good setup would be appreciated. Maybe someone has experience of a similar two building scenario.

If I find I need another wifi router to cover the small building. What suggestions for a aimesh to pair it, another TUF AX-3000 v2? Or go for a more higher end router instead?

Use powerline as backhaul a good idea?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!