What's new

switch/hub before router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roth79

New Around Here
I am new here posting but reading alot. I have a question I cant get answered. I need to split an ethernet line after the Brighthouse cable modem before I get to the new wireless e4200 router. Can I install a hub or switch.

Reason is its in my home office and I have 2 pc's hard wired in their. The office is on the end of a ranch set up home. In the back of the house I can not get a decent wireless signal. I do have a hard line that runs from the office to the center of the house so if I can hard wire a wireless modem in the center of the house if I can split 2 more lines from the modem to the pc's.before the router.
I dont want to re wire the RG6 if I can help it.

Thanks,

Roth

No, you don't want to alter the cable going to the WAN input of your existing router.

I think you want to add an access point (AP) located more centrally in your home. And leave the existing WiFi router as is. Connect that AP to a LAN port of the existing router.

Most any old WiFi router can be re-purposed as an AP, disabling its routing function -and not using its WAN port. There's a FAQ on that here.

The concept: One logical router in the home. It can drive many LAN port connections and switches for more. And you can have many Access Points (logically not a router, though named so if the AP is a re-purposed "router").

Last edited by a moderator:
The router supports WiFi connections, and also each Access Point.
(Access Point function can be done with a specially configured router product, or you can purchase an Access Point per se)

So here is my issue, I do have a e4200 in my office hardwired from the brighthouse modem, then 3 hardwired from there to 2 pc's. I have a 75 foot ethernet line run to the middle of the house where I have a 5 port switch which wires tv, sat box, etc in that room. I want to use that ethernet line from my e4200 to a ap so I can get a decent wireless signal on that end of the house but I need the switch there also for a lan connection.

So can I use a Linksys wrt150n at the ap point for both access point and hard wired and use the ports on the 150 that room also?

Does anyone have any suggestions its driving me crazy and Im reading till my eyes are bleeding.

Thanks,

Roth

So can I use a Linksys wrt150n at the ap point for both access point and hard wired and use the ports on the 150 that room also?

Thanks,

Roth
Yes. On the WRT150n, one LAN port goes on the long cable to a switch or your router. The other LAN ports on the WRT150n can connect to PCs, games, or a switch for more ports yet. The WAN port is unused.

the WRT150n needs to be configured as an AP (access point), rather than a router; See FAQs.