What's new

Switching to Motorola Surfboard Extreme help needed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FltEngCPO

New Around Here
I have a 6 year old Linksys Cable modem and linksys wifi router and Linksys eight port switch. The modem is crapping out on me regularly requiring me to unplug it for a few minutes to get eerything working again. I was out of town for the weekend and came home to no internet and a very hot modem. I unplugged it and no joy, left it unplugged overnight and no joy. Then tried it again this afternoon and got it back. I troubleshot it all the way down to plugging a single computer into the modem with a cat 5 and still no joy.

So I think it is time to replace the modem and went and bought the new Docsis 3.0 Motorola surfboard extreme with built in wifi.

Cox cable set up the last home network and since then I have added a security system that enables me to view my cameras online. So my issue is with changing things over. I paid heavily to get the cameras set up on the old system and am hoping someone can help me figure out how to pull all the settings so that I don't have to pay the security system guys to come back out after the switch.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Also, I have two network printers on the system with 4 computers (2 PC anda 2 Mac) and a Mac Timespace with additional drive and a network hard drive I want to add for my wife.

I have a 6 year old Linksys Cable modem and linksys wifi router and Linksys eight port switch. The modem is crapping out on me regularly requiring me to unplug it for a few minutes to get eerything working again. I was out of town for the weekend and came home to no internet and a very hot modem. I unplugged it and no joy, left it unplugged overnight and no joy. Then tried it again this afternoon and got it back. I troubleshot it all the way down to plugging a single computer into the modem with a cat 5 and still no joy.

So I think it is time to replace the modem and went and bought the new Docsis 3.0 Motorola surfboard extreme with built in wifi.

Cox cable set up the last home network and since then I have added a security system that enables me to view my cameras online. So my issue is with changing things over. I paid heavily to get the cameras set up on the old system and am hoping someone can help me figure out how to pull all the settings so that I don't have to pay the security system guys to come back out after the switch.

Also, I have two network printers on the system with 4 computers (2 PC anda 2 Mac) and a Mac Timespace with additional drive and a network hard drive I want to add for my wife.
1) Does your ISP provide cable modems (but charges an itemized rental fee?). If so, my advise is to use theirs, for many obvious reasons.
2) DOCSIS 3: Where I live, you must pay for a higher speed service else their head-end caps your modem at DOCSIS 2.

I agree don't buy your cable modem rent it from your ISP. Mine (Comcast) charges me $7 a month. If you have Cox they give them free to new customers and there is no monthly fee. I miss that feature.

my cable modem is owned by TimeWarner. Its cost is buried, not itemized. I pay about $45/mo for DOCSIS 2 speeds - 15/1Mbps sustained. Maybe a bit cheaper now that its stirred into the HDTV/Phone/Internet bundle. The've swapped out the modem many times at my request. Most recently for an Aris phone/Internet all in one.

The modem can be set in "Bridge Mode", disable the WiFi, and you can use it in the same matter as your previous setup...

Go to http://192.168.100.1 - login admin, PW motorola - you can make the settings there...

Was just back home with parents, where they have the Moto SBG6580 - not a bad device... combined CableModem, Gateway, and AccessPoint (singleband two-stream 2.4GHz). WiFi is Atheros based, 2 stream, with 802.11g extensions - had a problem where a Dell with the 2230 bgn card would drop connections at random - disabled the 802.11g extensions, and things worked fine after that (no more investigation needed).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!