What's new

Synology DS211 or Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m1mi.dan0s

New Around Here
Hi!

I've been reading up on the whole NAS thing and I'm trying to figure out which one to buy.

The main purpose for it is to be the central storage of my Media Center environment.
I want to:
- Stream HD-movies from it (preferably wireless if possible with my Wireless N-network, but by cable also isn't a problem)
- Run SabNZBd+, Sickbeard and Yammm on it.
- Use it for storing my pictures and home video's.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it would also be nice that the NAS has some sort of auto sleep and auto wake mode. I think it's called Wake On Lan?

The ReadyNAS has 1gb of RAM which is good for running sabNZBd (or so I read). On the other hand: in all the reviews I've read till now the Synology wins every time, when it comes to data copy, read and throughput rates.

What do you guys say? Which one is perfect for my purpose?

Also, if you have another NAS that you think fits my purpose I will be happy to hear it!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
- Run SabNZBd+, Sickbeard and Yammm on it.
- Use it for storing my pictures and home video's.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it would also be nice that the NAS has some sort of auto sleep and auto wake mode. I think it's called Wake On Lan?

The ReadyNAS has 1gb of RAM which is good for running sabNZBd (or so I read). On the other hand: in all the reviews I've read till now the Synology wins every time, when it comes to data copy, read and throughput rates.
Do you know that there are add-ins on both NASes for those apps? They don't come installed with either product.

Yes, if you're running apps, the more memory in the NAS the better.

Both products have programmable idle drive spindown and programmable sleep/wake. Wake on LAN is a different feature and requires that it be supported specifically. Both manufacturers support Wake On LAN.

Thiggins, thanks for your help.

My choice went for the DS211. I believed the reviews and I read in plenty of places that running Sabznbd, sickbeard and couchpotato on it and STILL max out my 20mbps line isn't a problem at all. Luckily the new release of SabNZBd offers an option that can pause the download during par and unpack, so that saves the memory usage I suppose.

So I ordered it, but now I can't seem to figure out the following: is it absolutely necessary that the HDD you insert is formatted before use by the Synology itself? Or can I just pop in the HDD I'm already using to store my movies, etc. on?

I definitely hope so, I'm really not looking forward having to download everything again. And I don't really have a place to backup 1TB worth of TV shows, pictures, movies, etc.

Any thoughts?

All BYOD NASes will format inserted drives to integrate them into their own RAID volumes.