What's new

Solved System log spammed with "kernel: DROP"-messages

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FalconB

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I've noticed that my system log gets spammed with these types of messages [Mac- and IP-addresses removed]:

Code:
Nov 11 10:44:40 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=XXX SRC=XXX DST=XXX LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=5349 PROTO=TCP SPT=55903 DPT=3506 SEQ=1278832534 ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
We are talking loads and loads of it, it's actually hard to find anything else in the log :eek:. Is there any way to get rid of all these messages? I don't recall seeing them in the past (way back), but haven't had the energy to explore the issue, until now :cool:.

I've tried these shell commands I found somewhere (probably here on the forum), but to no avail:
ip6tables -D logdrop -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "DROP " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options

and

iptables -D logdrop -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "DROP " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options

Honestly I'm not quite sure how they work, but they don't remove the kernel drop messages in the system log :confused:.

My setup:
  • ASUS RT-AC68U
  • Merlin 380.68_4
  • "Default message log level" and "Log only messages more urgent than" are both set to "Notice".
  • AB-Solution and YA-Malware scripts installed (and working great! :))

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that my system log gets spammed with these types of messages [Mac- and IP-addresses removed]:

Code:
Nov 11 10:44:40 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=XXX SRC=XXX DST=XXX LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=5349 PROTO=TCP SPT=55903 DPT=3506 SEQ=1278832534 ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
We are talking loads and loads of it, it's actually hard to find anything else in the log :eek:. Is there any way to get rid of all these messages? I don't recall seeing them in the past (way back), but haven't had the energy to explore the issue, until now :cool:.

I've tried these shell commands I found somewhere (probably here on the forum), but to no avail:
ip6tables -D logdrop -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "DROP " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options

and

iptables -D logdrop -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "DROP " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options

Honestly I'm not quite sure how they work, but they don't remove the kernel drop messages in the system log :confused:.

My setup:
  • ASUS RT-AC68U
  • Merlin 380.68_4
  • "Default message log level" and "Log only messages more urgent than" are both set to "Notice".
  • AB-Solution and YA-Malware scripts installed (and working great! :))

Under firewall turn "Log Packet Type" to None.

Thanks saw this too just now and worked backwards from logs to get to this forum answer! No point in logging dropped packets

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!