What's new

TAILMON TAILMON v1.0.20 -July 27, 2024- WireGuard-based Tailscale Installer, Configurator and Monitor (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I will add that snat to both ends of the site-2-site and see if it makes any difference.
I have to ask here, if it works doing what you want it to, as is, why?
Just to test :) ?

What do you expect or hope to improve; or change?

Last edited:
I have to ask here, if it works doing what you want it to, as is, why?
Just to test :) ?

What do you expect or hope to improve; or change?
Just to test. I did enable it on one router. Really didn’t make any difference, it least in my use cases. Went back to TAILMON’s command line.

Pleased to see that Entware's tailscale package has just been updated from 1.68.2-1 to 1.68.2-3 to include the fixes to S06tailscaled I suggested. Note that it also adds Entware's coreutils-nohup as a prerequisite although that's not necessary for asuswrt.
Thank you @ColinTaylor for posting the two requests up on Github, it's been a wee while but they did get on to it in the end, so great result.

Cheers, k.

Tailscale binary was updated to 1.72.0 yesterday.

Just wanted to say thanks for such an amazing job with this. I have a home network stuck behind a CGNAT system and this was super easy and extremely effective to get around that... 4G CGnatted systems are very common in Europe, so this is a big help. How do I contribute a coffee or beer money though?

Now that the Entware team (and @ColinTaylor ) fixed up tailscale, is there any reason for having tailmon update using the direct “tailscale update”? Entware will always be a bit behind, but at least an opkg update/upgrade will be consistent with other applications on the routers.

Just wanted to say thanks for such an amazing job with this. I have a home network stuck behind a CGNAT system and this was super easy and extremely effective to get around that... 4G CGnatted systems are very common in Europe, so this is a big help. How do I contribute a coffee or beer money though?

@Viktor Jaep is in the list.

@ColinTaylor , many of us thank you for your wealth of information and many contributions.
Can I add you to the list? PM me. ;-)

Pleased to see that Entware's tailscale package has just been updated from 1.68.2-1 to 1.68.2-3 to include the fixes to S06tailscaled I suggested. Note that it also adds Entware's coreutils-nohup as a prerequisite although that's not necessary for asuswrt.
@ColinTaylor did you mean to write updated from 1.58.2-1 to 1.68.2-3?

Asking as the original Tailscale entware install was based on 1.58.2-1, but I wasn’t aware of an interim update?

k.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor did you mean to write updated from 1.58.2-1 to 1.68.2-3?

Asking as the original Tailscale entware install was based on 1.58.2-1, but I wasn’t aware of an interim update?

k.
No I did mean 1.68.2-1 to 1.68.2-3. There was an additional update on 16th August just for tailscale that replaced the version from 9th August.

Last edited:
No I did mean 1.68.2-1 to 1.68.2-3. There was an additional update on 16th August just for tailscale that replaced the version from 9th August.
Okey dokey, sorry, I missed that one!
Was just that 1.58.2-1 was one number removed from 1.68.2-1, so I thought surely that can’t be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Ok, this probably should be a new thread but is it possible to setup Tailscale via Wireguard on a remote Asus router using only the Asus remote app? I.e. just adding information to the Wireguard VPN setup in the GUI? I currently only have access to the remote router via the GUI due to a CGNAT. Or is there another way to get remote access to my LAN that's behind CGNAT using just the Asus web GUI?

Last edited:
Ok, this probably should be a new thread but is it possible to setup Tailscale via Wireguard on a remote Asus router using only the Asus remote app? I.e. just adding information to the Wireguard VPN setup in the GUI? I currently only have access to the remote router via the GUI due to a CGNAT. Or is there another way to get remote access to my LAN that's behind CGNAT using just the Asus web GUI?
Only if you can already get a WG connection running, which, if it is behind CGNAT is not possible as far as I am aware. But neither WG nor OPenVPN nor any (?) other VPNs or remote access mechanisms can get past CGNAT AFAIK.

The beauty of Tailscale (TS) or ZeroTier (ZT) running as a subnet router on your network, is that it will run behind a CGNAT Service and "advertise" the address; but your scenario is a chicken-egg situation. Have a look at a previous discussion here and here.

What you 'could' do is buy a Fixed (Static) IP for 1 month (which removes CGNAT), then assuming you have a VPN setup already or Asus's own Instant Guard, use the WebGUI to get in and enable SSH (if not already) then log on to the CLI using Putty and install TS (TAILMON) via amtm.

Once you are happy it is running, drop the static IP and revert to the CGNAT service, knowing you now have TS running, which gets past it.

Or just toss the current ISP and get one without CGNAT, which is what I did after my commitment for 1 year was up.

[EDIT] I forgot to add, if you could send someone to your remote location with a little RPi or Intel NUC or even an AppleTV (iOS17 capable, very simple to setup), pre-prepared with Tailscale configured as a subnet Router, they could just connect that device to your remote router by an ethernet cable (LAN port) and it will "advertise" your network address and allow you to Tailscale in to the network "as if you were there locally", at which point you could install TS (TAILMON) remotely. But the fact that someone went there with your little box of tricks means they could (almost) have as easily installed Tailscale for you...

Last edited:
Tailscale binary updated AGAIN to 1.72.1

This one is Linux-only and has something to do with DNS failures over TCP.
So, it might be worth installing.