What's new

Temporary living situation - need help with network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dbK

New Around Here
Long story short, I am living with my inlaws for 6-7 weeks between selling my old house and buying my new house. The setup here is pretty basic - cable internet and some sort of N router. My complication is my NAS/Plex server that I'd like to get up for the time that I'm here - naturally it houses all my media as well as our Time Machine and Windows backups. The clients are a couple windows laptops, a couple macs, a roku, Amazon tv, and a couple mobile devices.

What I would like to do is set up my AC-68 and have all of my devices on its network. My complication comes with trying to have the AC-68's network have Internet. Here comes the stupid question: how do I do that? I assume it can't be a wifi client on the N network that exists here while then broadcasting it's own separate network, right? I should be able to wire in the AC-68, but wouldn't know where to start with configuration.

Thanks!

Plug in the existing router's LAN port to the WAN port of the RT-AC68U.

If you haven't specifically configured the ISP (WAN) port previously, it should give you internet access. You may need to turn off NAT or at least DHCP on the RT-AC68U to get this to work correctly.

Do note that doing so will allow anyone to connect to your network devices as they will be on the same subnet the other router.

If you want to use your AC68U as an AP and don't mind sharing or exposing your NAS with all network users put the AC68 in the AP mode which is built into the firmware.

If you want to segregate your files and computers from the primary network and its users double NAT your AC68U behind the primary router. To do this you would assign the AC68 a static WAN IP in the primary router's subnet, set the AC68 up to use another subnet (192.168.2.1 would work assuming the primary router uses 192.168.1.1 - 254) leave the DHCP server on and then run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the primary router to the WAN port on your AC68.

Any wireless connection between routers will be less than satisfactory. If you have no choice then you will need to put your AC68 in the bridge mode and connect all clients to it using Ethernet connections.

Thank you very much - AP mode does it. Not sure why I was too dense to think of that... appreciate the help.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!