What's new

Test for reliability of router - Bench test - throughput - ping load etc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StanleeSPUDwowski

Occasional Visitor
Hello, been a while since posted anyways I have a Netgear gaming XR500 router latest updates installed however i have been seeing some degradation recently with ping load and or reliability of signal to devices , dropped packets etc maybe other issues that i am not aware of. Our ISP is spark light 1gig cable connection connected to Motorola Modem MB8600 Docsis 3.1. then connected to my netgear router. I want to do some load testing on the router and or test the WAN to LAN connection to find issues with signal or other issues again I may not be aware of , is it time to replace this router or the modem? I have had the router for at least 5 years - maybe the power adapter is going the front led lights sometimes dim sometimes. The modem how can i check issues with it? please provide websites to use to perform network load, LAN WAN testing. benchmarking etc. XR500 V2.3.2.134 is the version

Thanks

The NG XR500 has not had a firmware update in 2 years and 5 months likely End of Life. I would consider upgrading to something much more recent.
I have this one in storage -

TP-Link AX6600 latest firmware i think however i noticed last time i had it setup web pages would be delayed so i swapped it out with the netgear xr500. can you receommend one at this time if the TP link is too old ?​

Archer X90 (AX6600) is okay device and not too old. Pages delay issue most likely wasn't router related. You've made some weird router choices. Not sure what was the intended use of relatively expensive 3-band router, now kept in storage.

Archer X90 (AX6600) is okay device and not too old. Pages delay issue most likely wasn't router related. You've made some weird router choices. Not sure what was the intended use of relatively expensive 3-band router, now kept in storage.
what would u recommend and the router i have is Tplink Archer AX10000 latest firmware should i use this one instead. I only ask because i have a lot of Gamers in my house.

There is no gaming Internet. There is no gaming Ethernet. What gaming marketed devices usually have is presets for port forwarding and QoS as well as gaming themed GUI, color accents, RGB lights, etc.

You are asking the same questions over and over. The networking is the same, "gaming" devices call with fancy names features commonly known as Port Forwarding, QoS, VPN, etc. They have presets for specific games in GUI. Game Boost, Gear Accelerator, WTFast, Open NAT... all marketing created terms. Users basically pay more for inability to setup what they need themselves. The Gaming Price.

to be clear so you are saying Duma OS is marketing ploy ?

Well, marketing is...

They're trying to sell a product, and that's cool - best of luck to them - they've had a fair amount of success..

They're not really doing much that everyone else isn't already doing - given the right chipset, let's say a Meditek or Qualcomm AX based chipset, going into OpenWRT, everything is there as well - OpenWRT can be a bit of a hair shirt to get things working.

Going into the official SDK's from Broadcom, Qualcomm, and Meditek - they're very capable on the WiFi6/7 side, both for wireless and wired - so it comes down to the OEM/Vendor features they want to enable.

It's much like on the client side for gamers - Killer Networks was a lot of fun back in the day for ethernet add-in board - the KillerNIC had a lot of capability as it was essentially a router on a card - but as time moved forward, the underlying hardware got faster, and it became more of a SW stack thing that could apply to generic chips from all vendors, and even in the WiFi space, the same improvements would apply - until everyone did it - then it's just a brand...

so the operating system DUMA OS is a farce?
Your XR500 is nearly identical in hardware to the R7800. You are mainly paying for the DUMA OS' geofilter feature that is built-in to the router. It does have its' uses as games back then had relatively poor matchmaking filters especially in fighting games when they still had delay based netcode. How useful that feature is up to you.