What's new

testing performance over the long term

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

networking.2

New Around Here
People on my wireless network are saying that sometimes (very occasionally), they get bouts of 3-5secs where the network becomes unable. Then everything goes back to fine.

I would like to verify this. Since it doesn't matter a lot, I thought I would just initiate very large transfer and keep an eye on the network performance chart in Task Manager. However, when I leave for a few minutes, I miss out on some data.

Is there any way to monitor the transfer rate over night without me having to sit there? I know there are tools I could use and get an average transfer rate at the end. But that's not what I want to know. I want to know if the transfer rate dropped below say 5mbps even for a few seconds.

Possible Interference

Since the problem is with wireless and intermittent I would also look for possible sources of interference.

If your wireless network is on channels 1 -4 look at your microwave or possible even the microwave in an adjacent office.

Next I would check to see that there are not any old cordless phones around that are not DECT 6.

Then see if it could be a motor on some appliance, a copy or fax machine.

Finally look at how many networks are operating on the same channel as your WiFi network. Perhaps a nearby network is using a double wide 40 Mhz channel.

Finally I would look to eliminate the possibility that a power glitches are not causing problems. The AC compressor kicking on could cause a voltage drop, ARC welding equipment, large freezers and or walk in coolers, etc. The simplest way to rule out power problems is by either using a UPS on your modem and router or an isolation transformer. Surge protectors don't help with voltage drops.