What's new

TEW-687GA client + WRT610N v1 AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jalyst

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can advise whether this (at least in theory) will work well with my WRT610N v1?
I intend to install the latest stable DD-WRT (or maybe something lighter) on my 610N v1 & use it only as my AP.

If I recall correctly, the the WRT610N v1 & v2 don't support true 3-stream...
But so long as the adapter's compatible with them at 2-stream, performs well, & works reliably at that level, then I'm happy.

Any experience/advice/thoughts are greatly appreciated, thank-you!

Last edited:
IMO, if you go the route of using a wifi bridge, purchase two of the same to create the bridge<SNIP>

Unfortunately that won't be an option...
I'll have to make do with one client/bridge attached to my HTPC/PVR, that connects directly to my AP (wrt610n).
I'll install wired infrastructure soon too, so my HTPC/PVR will prolly move to it for better performance/reliability.

It doesn't need to have the reliability/performance required for multiple HD streams...
I've realised I don't have a need for that in the immediate future, as my HTPC will be next to my AV system in my TV room!
So essentially all I need is a stable/reliable connection to the net for Linux/Win package updates etc, much less demanding.

LT there may come some demand from rooms upstairs...
But if that happens we can get a 2nd TEW-687GA like you were suggesting, or invest in this or similar.
That's assuming I don't already have: aircon Eth, MoCa, AV2, or some combo in place, which'll negate the need for that!

Main thing is it's the best performing 802.11 client adapter ATM right? (aside from Intel 6300)
So hopefully I'll get even more out of it when I upgrade my AP in Q4!?
I'll buy at least 1x more 802.11n client adapter then, & before then I'll have a dedicated router/fw (610n will be AP).

<SNIP>Since going to MoCA, zero, nada problems. It's layer 2, dumb, like copper, been on it for a year or so.

Oh yeah, it's a given that I'm going to wired as a compliment, I've already said that.
It'll be aircon Eth or aircon Eth + MoCa, or if aircon Eth is proven as not doable, then MoCa + AV2.

Focus of the current set of posts is to determine the best WiFi client/bridge option.
I still want top-notch Wifi infrastructure for the house, as there'll still be times when it's handy.

The Intel 6300's arguably the best client, but it's not an option as it's mPCIe.
As mentioned in a prior post there's an external solution coming, but it's some time away.
Is there such a thing as PCIe slot multipliers?

e.g.
You'd plug it into a PCIe slot & coming off it are: 1x PCIe slot & 1x mPCIe slot.
Ideally the PCIe slot would sit directly atop the PCIe slot it's plugged into.
The mPCIe could be attached via some long flexible cabling, so that it doesn't obstruct the PCIe slot etc.

But I imagine that's wishful thinking, I don't think there's any standard for PCIe "cabling" is there?
Of course, "thunderbolt" may change that... :D

Is the TEW-687GA the best client adapter/bridge everyone has seen?
Is there not any that are 3-stream and dual-band!?
I know I can't exploit either yet because of my AP, but it's nice to be future-proof.

*Don't want mPCIe to PCIe convertor, as that takes-up an entire PCIe slot just for the WiFi client.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!