What's new

The '802.1Q' setting under 'WAN - Internet Connection' (Editing PVC) [Enabled] effect on network performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonnyc55

Occasional Visitor
I see this as enabled and regarding VLANs, I don't use one? I don't think I do, from what I read you set it up with many network devices, my setup is just 2 PC's and a smart TV with just my Asus router.

I consulted with ChatGPT on what this setting does:

When the "802.1Q" setting is enabled on your ASUS router, it allows the router to add VLAN tags to network packets. This tagging helps in segmenting network traffic, which can be useful in scenarios where you want to separate different types of traffic for security or management purposes. For example, if you have devices that need to be on separate networks for privacy reasons (like guest Wi-Fi), VLAN tagging can help achieve this segmentation without needing physical network separation.

I then ask "does this tagging add performance overheads?":

Enabling VLAN tagging itself doesn't add significant performance overhead to your network. The overhead is minimal and generally negligible for typical home or small office network setups. However, in extremely high-performance or heavily loaded network environments, the additional processing required for VLAN tagging could potentially introduce a small amount of latency. For most users, the benefits of VLAN segmentation outweigh any minimal performance impact from VLAN tagging.

So as I would of imagined, negligible. Which I don't mind, since I've done tons of tweaks for they all add up (like in an F1 car).

My question, do you actually think this enabled setting is applying VLAN tags to my network packets? If I'm not using a VLAN?

Thanks.

Router model?
Firmware version?

I don't see any WAN 802.1Q option on my router. Can you post a screen shot?

VLAN tags are required by some types of internet connection (e.g. VDSL) for it to work. Otherwise they are normally disabled.

Router model?
Firmware version?

I don't see any WAN 802.1Q option on my router. Can you post a screen shot?

VLAN tags are required by some types of internet connection (e.g. VDSL) for it to work. Otherwise they are normally disabled.

This is from my AX88U Pro:
1719083393692.png

OE

@OzarkEdge
That is WAN VLAN settings. Unless your ISP has some unusual requirements OR you are piggy-backing your 88U from another router from a VLAN port OR L2/L3 switch config with 802.1Q settings, you should not touch it.

Last edited:
@OzarkEdge
That is WAN VLAN settings. Unless your ISP has some unusual requirements OR you are piggy-backing your 88U from another router from a VLAN port OR L2/L3 switch config with 802.1Q settings, you should not touch it.

Thanks for the details. I do not touch it. I only posted the screen shot thinking it was what ColinTaylor asked to see.

I do have a VLAN task ahead of me when time permits... using the new ASUSWRT 5.0 VLANs with node LAN ports... my first attempt broke my wired backhaul which may have to do with my MOCA2.5 adapters(?)... I have not revisited the issue... other things to do.

OE

Yeah nevermind guys, thanks for your time, it seems my internet needs it on. I'm with BT on a 60 M/B package, FTTC. When '802.1Q' is disabled my router gets no internet. My router is DSL-AX82U Asus.

I thought VLAN seemed something I was not using because I read things like:
A virtual local area network (VLAN) is a virtualized connection that connects multiple devices and network nodes from different LANs into one logical network.
Network nodes from different local area networks? I imagined an office environment. Never mind was worth a try, there's obviously something else going on, interesting.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!