What's new

Thinking about maybe an RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJ2

New Around Here
I have about 25 streaming devices that are currently fighting for bandwith on an old Linksys router that never gave us the wireless signals we were looking for.
A few things:
My daughter works from home and is on the phone and computer at the same time sucking up all the bandwidth right now. However, the bandwidth isn't even enough for her. Her screens keep freezing or the calls don't complete. This replacement is imperative for her to be able to keep her job. So when she's working no one else can stream tv, work on a computer or get a signal on their phones...

The router will also have to be able to handle 4 wireless security cameras.

I've been looking at the RT-AC3100. I'm wondering by what I've stated above if I'm buying the right router.

Also, someone at Asus told me that I'd have to buy an "additional software package" for the 3100 if I wanted to be able to take advantage of all of the features. You would think for that price that the full firmware would be included.

I went out to purchase at Amazon and see they have other upsells on top of the router (1TB HDD Bundle, Access Point Bundle, Cable Modem Bundle, PCI-E Adapter Bundle).

Now... Will I have to buy new Ethernet cards for my laptops and how compatible is this router be with an iPad or two?

Is there anyone who wants to help me sort through all of my questions?

;)

From what i see you have 3 different things going on for wifi.
Work (your daughter)
Security (cameras)
streaming (or normal use)

So essentially this means either having 3 APs or doing some LAN QoS. The AC3100 is MU-MIMO, if there is MU-MIMO and you have devices capable of using it this can help. Does your daughter really need to use wifi? Cant you wire as many clients? Wifi isnt a reliable medium.

It seems that you also need internet QoS but first think do you need only priority or bandwidth based or are you going to need to use both bandwidth and priority. If you must use bandwidth and priority than your choices are limited to more advanced routers.

Calculate, how much wifi bandwidth do you need. What resolutions do your streamers stream at? For reference 720p encoded stream uses up to 4Mb/s, 1080p uses up to 12Mb/s and 4K can use up to 60Mb/s and this is for the usual 20-30fps videos. Going with a new AC AP, definitely gives better range and better performance for older protocols but being older protocols they still are going to be limited to their speeds. the AC3100 basically means 4 channels of AC wifi + your 300Mb/s of 2.4 Ghz (600Mb/s with broadcom's modulation but dont expect that). Real world results you're talking about up to 150Mb/s on 2.4Ghz and up to 4 channels of AC wifi in the best condition if your devices have AC wifi on 5Ghz. Essentially its also a question of do you have any AC capable devices?

Thank you for responding!! You are right and I forgot about it but went out and bought the cable to run a direct line to the router. That's my biggest priority right now. Do you know about the extra add on software for the 3100 and would I need all of the upsells? I know I don't need the Cable Modem because we have one that's running the phone she's on. Other than that that is where I came to my decision on the 3100. If she's tied in then I don't care much about the rest but wondering if I have to upgrade my laptops and nothing I can do about the iPad right? I haven't looked into Ethernet cards for laptops in many years. So then my only other issue is the security camera's and they're all wifi. I love the features on the 3100 so I'm a bit stuck on it but need to reason out how it's all going to work.

From what i see you have 3 different things going on for wifi.
Work (your daughter)
Security (cameras)
streaming (or normal use)

So essentially this means either having 3 APs or doing some LAN QoS. The AC3100 is MU-MIMO, if there is MU-MIMO and you have devices capable of using it this can help. Does your daughter really need to use wifi? Cant you wire as many clients? Wifi isnt a reliable medium.

It seems that you also need internet QoS but first think do you need only priority or bandwidth based or are you going to need to use both bandwidth and priority. If you must use bandwidth and priority than your choices are limited to more advanced routers.

Calculate, how much wifi bandwidth do you need. What resol5utions do your streamers stream at? For reference 720p encoded stream uses up to 4Mb/s, 1080p uses up to 12Mb/s and 4K can use up to 60Mb/s and this is for the usual 20-30fps videos. Going with a new AC AP, definitely gives better range and better performance for older protocols but being older protocols they still are going to be limited to their speeds. the AC3100 basically means 4 channels of AC wifi + your 300Mb/s of 2.4 Ghz (600Mb/s with broadcom's modulation but dont expect that). Real world results you're talking about up to 150Mb/s on 2.4Ghz and up to 4 channels of AC wifi in the best condition if your devices have AC wifi on 5Ghz. Essentially its also a question of do you have any AC capable devices?

Okay so I've read through this a few times. So if I decide to buy the 3100 and configure the QoS then I should be okay. Do you know anything about the extra software/hardware I'd need to purchase.
Beyond that I don't know how to calculate the badwidth I'd need or what resolution I'm streaming at. I also don't know if I can just buy a new card for my laptops to take advantage of the 5Ghz. This is definitely where I need some guidance.

Okay so I've read through this a few times. So if I decide to buy the 3100 and configure the QoS then I should be okay. Do you know anything about the extra software/hardware I'd need to purchase.
Beyond that I don't know how to calculate the badwidth I'd need or what resolution I'm streaming at. I also don't know if I can just buy a new card for my laptops to take advantage of the 5Ghz. This is definitely where I need some guidance.
First check what laptop you have and what card you currently have. If it is something like dell or hp they may have a vendor lock. Apple may be iffy with some cards too. Look up the specific model to see if there is some sort of wifi card whitelist. Once you are certain you can use any wifi card you like and that you dont have wifi AC in it, open it up and see what wifi card it uses and how many antenna connectors. Then get yourself a wifi AC card that fits and has the same number of connectors. Its important to note the slot type as now there are m.2 cards too.

You will have 2 routers if you buy a new one both new and old. You can use your old one only to provide wifi to security cameras, keep them on a seperate network.

I already told you the bandwidth you need for 720p,1080p and 4K streaming. You have to check the device's settings on what resolution it is set to stream at. What are you running that you have 25 devices trying to stream at the same time? Even with good QoS if you dont have enough internet for all those 25 streamers at the same time you're still going to run into issues.

Wire what you can. Desktops, streamers, etc. The less you use wifi the better as wifi is for convenience and not performance.

Buying hardware randomly won't help you solve a problem at it's root.

What is your ISP speed that you pay for and, do you actually get it (from a wired computer connected directly to the ISP's modem)?

The speed I pay for is 50Mbps. Ping 114ms, Download 15.75Mbps, Upload 6.75Mbps. Are those numbers good? Those speeds were over wifi. I'll have to get a direct connection tomorrow.

Those numbers are not great. :(

Is your paid for speed 50Mbps up/down? Check when you can with a direct connection either to the router and/or the modem. Then we can better see how to improve things.

Your paying for 50 and only getting 15 with a ping of 114ms ? Not good you should be getting the same speeds over wifi as you do wired. Also not sure what extra software you are referring to there is no extra software to buy for the 3100 either use stock or Merlins nothing to purchase there.

First, MU-MIMO is not yet officially supported on the RT-AC3100. You would need at least two MU-MIMO enabled devices to reap any benefit if it were enabled.

AC1900 is the best price performance class for routers now. If you have a lot of 5 GHz devices, you might consider moving up to an AC3200 class router, if you have a relatively small area to cover since 5 GHz range is lower than 2.4 GHz.

Your stated speeds are low for 50 Gbps service. As has been suggested, run the speed test from a WIRED client. If they are still low, call your cable provider and get them to fix the problem.

You don't need any optional packages to use the router. The bundles you mention are all just upsells to bundle in hardware you don't need. You shouldn't need new Ethernet cards for your laptops. 10/100 Mbps Ethernet should be fine unless you are transferring a lot of large files around.

First thing is to get your daughter on an Ethernet connection if possible. That will free up bandwidth for other devices.

Get the IP cameras on 2.4 GHz and use the old router as S.E.M. suggested. Move all other devices to 5 GHz.

The speed I pay for is 50Mbps. Ping 114ms, Download 15.75Mbps, Upload 6.75Mbps. Are those numbers good? Those speeds were over wifi. I'll have to get a direct connection tomorrow.

That looks like 11g speed...

I have about 25 streaming devices that are currently fighting for bandwith on an old Linksys router that never gave us the wireless signals we were looking for.
A few things:
;)
What is the model of your old Linksys router? Speed get from your ISP? What model laptop which needs new WiFi card? Any how I get an impression your mind is set on RT-AC3100,
LOL! Good router alright but MU-MIMO is yet to officially supported.

Last edited: