What's new

Thompson TG784 & Asus RT-N56U working in harmony?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Benhermies

New Around Here
So a few weeks ago my ISP called me up and offered me a really good deal on a high-speed internet and VOIP home phone bundle. For about $15 more a month I get double my internet speed, a home phone, free installation and free modem rental. It's a pretty good deal (http://ca.inter.net). The modem arrived late last week and a technician came to install it yesterday. What I realize now is they mislead me about the modem specs. I was told it was wireless N capable, but it turns out it's only wireless G with only 100/Mbps ports. It's a Thompson TG784. So basically networking wise it's a big step back from my Asus RT-N56U router. On top of this, for some reason it won't let me stream most of my videos to my TV! Maybe it's a port forwarding issue? I don't know. What I do know is that things were overall much better before I got this setup.

This is what I'd like to do: Use the TG784 as just a DSL/VOIP modem and hook it up to my RT-N56U for all my usual gigabit/wireless N networking stuff. The thing is, I don't know how to set this up. Anyone have any ideas?

Try changing the LAN subnet of the ASUS to something like 192.168.2.1, then plug the Thompson into the ASUS' WAN port. Then login to the Thompson(192.168.1.254) and choose "Assign Public IP to device" of the ASUS. Disable the Thompson's wireless radio. This puts the ASUS on a non-conflicting subnet, it puts it into the modem/router's DMZ for best port service support, and allows VoIP to function.

Last edited:
Overdrive31 you are a genius!!! I did what you said and now everything is right with the world again. Thank you!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!