What's new

Three story house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ant108

New Around Here
Hi,

We recently moved to a three story house (G/F, 1/F, 2/F and a roof terrace on top) and having problems with our existing system which worked well previously. The house is also unusual as it is constructed from poured concrete, so the walls are very thick and dense. Each floor is 700 sq ft, so we have 2,800 sq ft including the roof (although I don't envisage spending much time up there online).

As we are renting and there is no fixed line installed, so we have to use a purely wireless solution. Our current Time Capsule (2-3 years old) + Airport Express (even older) is not up to the job anymore.

The telephone access point is on the G/F in one corner of the house (which is roughly square in shape). The airport express is on the 2/F in an attempt to cover the house. Unfortunately, the Airport Express often fails to find a signal, unless it is plugged into a wall socket above the position of the router on the G/F. Even moving it 3-5 metres away means it cannot pick up and repeat the signal. Also the speed drops extremely quickly.

The broadband provider installed a 8MB service and it connects via PPoE. If I connect to this direct from my laptop into their modem, I get speeds of around 6.5 - 6.8 MB. Change that to the Time Capsule (on the G/F) and access wirelessly - at one metre away from the TC - speed drops to around 5.5MB. On the 2/F I am lucky if it gets to 1MB, but is often around 0.2-0.5MB - a huge drop off in performance and you can really feel it.

So I am planning to buy a new system. I have read the "Choose the right Wireless LAN" article and looked at the charts. I have been in a few shops and seen the Netgear N900, N750, N600 and N300 products (with extender), and also the Asus RT-N56U. Another guy introduced me to the Cisco RV200W and WAP4410N extender.

Honestly, I am a bit lost now. There is quite a large range of prices and seemingly of performance, plus I'm not really sure my 8MB service would be able to support the potential of these router in any event. I do want to back up to a USB drive (probably not the TC now), so USB is important and naturally its good to have adequate speed for that (3 Macs on the home network, and lots of photos / data as my wife works as a photographer). We also have an AppleTV which is not getting much use currently.

The biggest obstacle seems to me the ability to get the signal up to the 1/F and 2/F. Should I get two extenders, one for each floor? The Netgear N900 claims a much larger range than the N300 say.

I also saw a newer product called the Asus RT-N12P which has a 9dBi antena (its a N300 router), and one salesman was quite keen to sell it to me based on what I outlined above, even though it was the cheapest option he had shown me.

We are quite rural, about 6 houses close by, and I pick up about that many wifi networks.

Help!

Many many thanks in advance. I will definitely do a write up on the forums once I have decided on and installed the new system.

Best wishes, Anthony.

This is how my experience is with the Amped Wireless R20000G I highly recommend it.

I have a 2 story 1800sq ft mixed construction house that's wonky and I even took the laptop down the road to stream HD vids and I was easily able too from 200 some ft away!

consider too MoCA. Many of us use that to avoid the many issues with power line Ethernet.

consider too MoCA. Many of us use that to avoid the many issues with power line Ethernet.

Thanks all - I think that MoCA may well be the best option for us. The electrician cannot guarantee that the power line option will work as we have 3 separate fuse boxes (one on each floor) in the house.

So MoCA looks very interesting. However, I'd like to ask for a bit more advice here if it will be possible in our particular situation.

We have a TV aerial access point on the roof, with the following cable attached: SMT RG6U S690BV DIGITAL SATELLITE HD TV COAXIAL CABLE 2.2GHZ SWEEP TESTED X128W 75 OHM RoHs 80MP??

In the house, there are 3 aerial wall sockets (one on each floor) which currently have standard TV aerial sockets.

I've attached various photos of the cable / access points / internal wiring here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24586998@N05/sets/72157633130204464/

The internal wire has the following standard: CARLETECH CT-501 75 OHM COAXIAL CABLE

So, as I understand it, the current wall sockets may be the wrong kind of connector (we have these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_aerial_plug) as we live in Hong Kong.

The other questions I have are:

- how can I double check the cables are all connected internally so the internet connection can be shared over this circuit
- do the cables in my house support MoCA?
- is there a MoCA system that works directly with the kind of wall socket I have?

I have googled quite extensively, but am struggling to come up with a definitive answer as information seems a bit conflicting.

Thanks, Anthony.

I use to live in house built in 1927.

Basement (Garage) WiFi Router AP DHCP/NAT Enabled Primary
First Floor WiFi Router AP
Second Floor WiFi Router AP
Attic 3rd Floor WiFi Router AP

I ran CAT5e Etherent throughout, but not though the walls but up and out of vents or drill 1/4 hole into the bottom of the window. Depends if you have older home can do this our drill through cement block using a special drill bit that's long enough to run cables though. Anyway I ran the cables through the oak wood flooring again drilling holes near the base board. About 32 nodes (lan connections was done like this.

For WiFi 3x Routers were use each on certain areas of the house so the signal would be near the same quality and strength.

Thanks all - I think that MoCA may well be the best option for us. The electrician cannot guarantee that the power line option will work as we have 3 separate fuse boxes (one on each floor) in the house.

So MoCA looks very interesting. However, I'd like to ask for a bit more advice here if it will be possible in our particular situation.

We have a TV aerial access point on the roof, with the following cable attached: SMT RG6U S690BV DIGITAL SATELLITE HD TV COAXIAL CABLE 2.2GHZ SWEEP TESTED X128W 75 OHM RoHs 80MP??

In the house, there are 3 aerial wall sockets (one on each floor) which currently have standard TV aerial sockets.

I've attached various photos of the cable / access points / internal wiring here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24586998@N05/sets/72157633130204464/

So, as I understand it, the current wall sockets may be the wrong kind of connector (we have these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_aerial_plug) as we live in Hong Kong.

Thanks, Anthony.

The plug your referenced above will not based on the design specifications handle the full range of MOCA frequencies. At the very least you would have to reterminate the cables. You need to take a look at the cable to be sure that it will pass up to 1.6 Ghz.

Hi David,

Yes - floors, walls and ceilings - everything is concrete.

Thanks, Anthony.

What about the windows, what are they made out of? If wood you can drill 1/4 holes in them at the bottom frame and snake ethernet cables through them.

How long?

How long will you be in the house?

I ask because my family and I just moved to Morocco for a two year assignment, and the house we're in sounds similar to yours - all concrete, roof deck, only difference is one less floor and I'm aiming for coverage by the pool about 50 feet off my balcony. We have two iphones, three laptops, printer, and airport express for music.

My most promising solution is to get a local guy to drill holes to run ethernet cable between the floors, basically going from where the modem/router combo is upstairs through the floor, and put an access point on the wall right there. The combo device covers the bedroom it's in and the bedroom next to it (it's weak), the AP downstairs covers the living room, dining area, and atrium. Then either a hole through the wall, or a hole outside with access to the junction box, and run ethernet through conduit to the roof, and I'd either carry an AP up with me when we were going to be up there/at the pool, or find a weatherproof one. It's lower tech, but much more stable.

Total cost to me will be about $50 including the cables, conduit, and labor (stuff I can't take when we go) and I'll use routers I already have as APs. The landlord already told me that since it's a corporate lease, he intends to keep the security deposit, and that I can do what I like with the place. The alternatives (powerline, moca, several repeaters) would have cost significantly more than that, powerline and moca might not work if the wiring isn't up to standards (nothing here appears to be up to any standards) and repeaters, as mentioned earlier, are not efficient for full speed browsing/downloading etc.

Also, I think I can expense the $50.